We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Palace or Riu Riveira Palace

Birmingham, England
Level Contributor
70 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Palace or Riu Riveira Palace

Currently considering either the Riu Palace or the Riu Palace Riveria Maya for 2 weeks at the beginning of December.

The first is working out at around £600 cheaper than the second for both of us. Is it worth spending the extra £600 to stay in the Palace Riveria Maya over the Palace.

We want somewhere comfortable, with nice rooms and reasonable food, with easy access to Playa Del Carmen and preferably on or near a good beach. Are both of these hotels on the same stretch of beach and what is it like?

Thanks

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
37 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Palace or Riu Riveira Palace

We stayed at the Riu Palace last September but walked around and visited all the Riu's in the area. The Riu Riveria Maya was brand new and a lot bigger but had virtually no beach. You had to walk around a concrete wall to get a little piece of sand. The Riu Palace was a mini older version of the Riveria and we loved it there. Food and service were amazing and they still had a nice beach (that was last year, I don't know about the now). Both hotels are within a $5 cab ride to Playa Del Carmen and are walking distance from each other. If you book at one of the Palace hotels you can use the facilities at all the Riu's in the area. We felt we made the right choice with the Palace, the only difference really is the Riveria is brand new and a lot bigger.

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,805 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Palace or Riu Riveira Palace

If you go to the Riu Palace Mexico you'll see us there. We're there Nov 30 - Dec 14 and quite a few members of the "unofficial" Riu website www.riubambu.com will be there during that time as well. Please join us. Let me know what you decide via a Private Message and I'll add you to our list. Even if you choose the RPRM you can still join us for a drink or ten. Our Fiestas will probably take place at the Yucatan or the newly re-opened Tequila.

The Riu Palace Riviera Maya being newer, has some rooms with true king-size beds whereas the RPM has two doubles pushed together. The RPRM also has what they call hydro-massage tubs in all their bathrooms whereas the RPM is a regular tub/shower. Food/drinks/service will be basicly the same but the RPRM has one extra specialty restaurant, Mexican. If you don't like the beach but prefer hanging around the pool take the RPRM, if the other way round like us, have been in the pool maybe 3 times in 63 days, take the RPM. Great beach and if you check the above site you'll see some recent beach pics I just posted. They're from the PR Manager at the RPM.

While the RPRM has a larger footprint, the RPM has more rooms.

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,805 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Palace or Riu Riveira Palace

PS finakyes. One of the couples that will be there is also from Birmingham. They arrive Dec 1 for 2 weeks.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
158 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Palace or Riu Riveira Palace

We have stayed at the Riu Palace Mexico 3 times. Last year, we considered RPRM but decided to stick with what we know. We walked down to the RPRM. Like Bob said, it is identical to RPM except newer. However, we really liked the pool better at Riu Palace Mexico. We felt the pool at RPRM felt more crowded. The loungers are more spread out at the Palace Mexico. But I don't think you can go wrong with either of them. This year we did decide to try somewhere different and are going to Secrets Capri. I am sure we will like it but we really do like the location of the Riu Palace Mexico since it is so close to town.

5. Re: Riu Palace or Riu Riveira Palace

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 13:19