We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get from Grand Riviera Princess to PDC and tours

Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
How to get from Grand Riviera Princess to PDC and tours

I'll be going to the Grand Riviera Princess first week of January 2009 and wanted to know

1/what tours are available from the hotel?

Interested in:

a/ Coba/Tulum/Mayan Village

b/ Xcaret (including night show)

c/ Maybe Chichen Izta if cost and time allow

d/ Tours to recommend?

2/ What are available ways to get to Playa Del Carmen and how is the return trip to the hotel (cost/time/safety and convenience) ?

3/ Restaurants to recomend in PDC?

4/ Snorkling, what's the best: Cozumel or Akumal?

5/ Xel-Ha, is it worth checking out?

I'd love to hear from you if you have any comments on any of the above

Thanks in advance :)

Happy Holidays!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,721 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get from Grand Riviera Princess to PDC and tours

holy jimolee

1. those tours are available in the hotel, from a bunch of different reps there. but my advice after having been there, then seen the stuff on here...contact Edventure Tours. they are listed on here in the "things to do" section of tulum. when i go back thats who ill be using.

i have heard that coba is really good. we went to chichen itza and it was pretty awesome. but it does suck an entire day (7 am - 6pm) with most of that being a bus ride.

2. theres a free shuttle but its not very convenient. we just used cabs...14-15 us per trip. just confirm with cabbie before you get in how much it is. the collectivo is supposed to be really cheap, but it is a bit of a hump from the hotel out to the highway, through a construction zone on a very small road.

3. n/a

4. havent done either, but look again at edventure....they seem to have a pretty cool package that has some snorkelling. i went to cancun area and was a bit disappointed.

5. n/a

enjoy!

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
249 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get from Grand Riviera Princess to PDC and tours

We were at the Princess 2 weeks ago. Had a great time. I can respond to:

2/ What are available ways to get to Playa Del Carmen and how is the return trip to the hotel (cost/time/safety and convenience) ?

We took the free shuttle offered by the hotel. Shuttle times are listed on the back of the map which will be handed to you at check in. There was an hourly shuttle when we were there. You are supposed to make shuttle reservations from the Best Day Travel reps behind the Riviera lobby bar one day in advance. However, many people don't show up and extras were allowed on the bus without a ticket as space permits by just lining up in front of the Best Day rep as the bus is boarding. If that doesn't work, taxi fare is a set rate of $13 each way but you should still be sure to agree upon the fare with the driver before you get in the car. We took the shuttle into town and a taxi back.

We've been to the Mayan Riviera 3 times in the past, so didn't take any excursions this time. Other posters have suggested checking prices with more than one tour company (they will all be sitting in the Riviera lobby) or booking tours in town rather than at the resort to save money. Another couple we met at the resort mentioned that they were able to negotiate the price of their tour so you could try that too.

I hope you enjoy this resort as much as we did. Happy travels.

mzlinda

3. Re: How to get from Grand Riviera Princess to PDC and tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 04:19