We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

just curious...

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vadnais Heights...
Level Contributor
136 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
just curious...

How many of you book your tours and make your plans before you leave home?

somewhere
Level Contributor
3,075 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: just curious...

Not us. We book nothing except transfers too and from the airport prior to arrival. We are sur of the moment people who don't like to be "scheduled" when on vacation. If we want to do something, we willdo it then.

duluth,mn
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: just curious...

i like to wait till i get there because of weather.its easy to book all your trips from your resort.

omaha, ne
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: just curious...

I book once I get there.

A lot can change from day to day.

No matter what anybody says.. there is no difference in price, and if there is, you pay less in person.

Gatlinburg...
Level Contributor
374 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: just curious...

I totally agree with the others, we wait. Except, the Dolphin Encounter's are limited, so they can be sold out way ahead of time. Expecailly when the cruise ships are in. It happened to us. So I'd book that early.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
801 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: just curious...

We wait, too many schedules to adhere to when at home so that's the last thing I need when on vacation.

Oshawa, ON
Level Contributor
257 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: just curious...

We always wait until we get there, that way we can make our plans based on the weather and the activities schedule at the resort.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
205 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: just curious...

I think it depends on what tour you plan on doing. There are a couple like The Jungle Place and Fat Cat Catamaran(just a couple that come to mind) that book quickly. Otherwise, we wait.

elsewhere
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: just curious...

In our case, I knew ahead of time which three tour thingies we wanted to do, but I waited until we got there to book them. I did look into booking them ahead of time, but it just seemed too complicated.

Once we were there, our Lomas/Funjet rep booked them all immediately, and it was a snap. We might have paid a bit more (who knows, who cares) but the convenience was worth it to me.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
205 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: just curious...

Newtoplaya- I agree that you should research and narrow down what excursions you would like to do prior to the trip. That way you can get started on the fun right away!

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
302 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: just curious...

We book our trips before we go and make sure that we can change the day if needed (we ask them... ) this way is MUCH cheaper we have found... and we usually don't do tours anyway since you can do so much on your own even cheaper than booking in advance.. depends on what you want to do....

prior: Selvatica zip lines

Rancho Loma Bonita horseback riding

(we booked these two on the same day- back to back and it worked out great... fun day and about $50 per person cheaper than if we had done it once there)

Xel-Ha (we booked through their web site and saved about $50 for a family of five)

Coba/cenote tour (we just did this on our last trip and again, it was only about $15 per person cheaper than the price from the resort but it was a PRIVATE trip for three of us and we could go at our own rate.. we had a great day)

on our own:

Tulum- catch a collectivo and walk in.. only less than $5 per person to enter... you can stay as long as you wish...

Akumal (swim with turtles/snorkel)... again collectivo or taxi but still cheaper than a snorkel tour... we just enter from the beach (take our own gear) and have fun until we are ready to quit.. lunch at Lucy's for a shrimp taco and ice cream... still a LOT cheaper than a tour!

Hope this helps.. any tips or questions, PM me...