We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy Tequila

Abilene, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Where to buy Tequila

Where the best place to buy Tequila in Playa Del Carmen? Also I would like to buy a good brand what do you recommend?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy Tequila

Hi there,

You can buy Tequilla in pretyy much all souvenir shops, the prices are pretty good. A good brand is El Jimador (it's a white tequila)

Eliot, Maine
Level Contributor
722 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to buy Tequila

Hola. Wait until you are returning, the airport has the best prices and selection. Saves lugging it around. Do'nt buy in your resort store, way over priced. Herradera is good...Adios

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to buy Tequila

Patty,

Walmart and Mega have the best prices and usually a good selection.

Favorites of mine ( and many others ) are Grand Centenario Anejo, Don Julio Anejo ( both of these are about $50.00 in the US ) and the yummy pomegranite infused La Pinta.

If you want to bring tequila home I suggest you start at home by bringing some bubble wrap and large zip bags in your suitcase.

Purchase you booze and wrap it up and pack in your checked luggage, much less hassle than the last minute at the airport.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
633 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to buy Tequila

If you like to experiment a little, go down to the southern end of Fifth Avenue, one block towards Senior Frogs there is a tequila place that has many different flavors of tequila liquor. If you ask nice, they give you 3 bottles for the price of 2, we brought 6 home. They are all excellent. Can not remember the name of the place, maybe just Tequilaria (killed too many brain cells with too much tequila!) Black bottles, they will bubble wrap for you. Taste as many as you want as much as you want. Coffee, pomegrate, almond, mango were just a few.

CO
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to buy Tequila

Do you want it for you hotel or to take home?

If you want to have happy hour at your hotel, then head to the Mega ( http://tinyurl.com/23lp4w ). I like Coralejo and Don Julio. I do not care for El Jimador of Herradura.

I keep it in the freezer, squeeze a little lime and sip.

Bluffton, South...
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to buy Tequila

If you are buying at the airport,make sure that you leave room in your suitcase as you'll have to transfer it from carry on to checked in luggage prior to going through customs.

Iowa
Level Contributor
437 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to buy Tequila

On non-stop flights the alcohol purchased at the tax free in the airport will NOT have to be put in your checked luggage. If you purchase alcohol at the WalMart or Mega, then you will have to put it in your checked luggage. If you have a connecting flight, even if you purchase at tax free in the airport, then you will be given the tax free purchase as you enter plane on your departure from Cancun airport but before checking into your NEXT connecting flight you will have to put it in your checked bag due to the 3-1-1 rule.

So remember the 3-1-1 rule. Remember that if you have a connecting flight that eventually the alcohol MUST go in the checked bag. You may be better off buying at Mega or WalMart to properly pack the alcohol once you clear customs and before you recheck your bag into checked luggage. If you carry the alcohol with you and do not place it in your checked bag for the connecting flight, you will lose it when coming back through the security due to the 3-1-1 rule.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to buy Tequila

I wouldn't count on getting it at the airport unless you've seen it there.

My favorite is Don Julio Anejo - I saw it for around $44 at stores in town, I'm sure this varies. They did not have it at the airport when we left, I asked someone too in case it was hidden but no.

They do have it here at home of course but it's not $44!

Iowa
Level Contributor
437 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to buy Tequila

I was just at the airport in Mazatlan and found their prices to be a bit high on some items. At the Mega and Walmart they do have pretty decent prices, sometimes cheaper than at the airport. It is a no brainer if you have a 1 stop or 2 stop flight. Just buy it at Mega or WalMart and pack it properly.

Bluffton, South...
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to buy Tequila

You are correct Stomin. Thanks for the follow up on my post.