We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Xel-Ha too touristy?

philadelphia
Level Contributor
832 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Is Xel-Ha too touristy?

Will be in PDC this weekend and my BF and I are considering Xel-Ha as a daytrip excursion. I get the sense it seems a bit touristy. Has anyone been recently that can give me some insight into this? Our other consideration is AllTournative tours...

Mentioned in this post
Alltournative
Alltournative
500 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Chez Maya Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours
Alestal
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
Paseo Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Univers Maya
Sightseeing Tours
Vancouver
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Xel-Ha too touristy?

I would definately recommend Xel-Ha! It is great, a little touristy but not too touristy. Take an ADO bus, go for a full day as it is all inclusive, have breakfast when you arrive, snorkel and enjoy the park all day and then have dinner before you leave. There is lots to do, the food and booze is all included, the snorkeling, tubing, cliff jumping, beaches, etc. are all great. There is even a hammock island for an afternoon siesta. I go to Xel Ha yearly and love it every time.

philadelphia
Level Contributor
832 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Xel-Ha too touristy?

Do you know if there are there cenotes to explore there and snorkel into?

omaha, ne
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Xel-Ha too touristy?

There are small cenotes you can look at, but you can't get in them.

There is a cave you can swim into.. and achilles rift is pretty cool to swim thru as well.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Cancun, Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Xel-Ha too touristy?

XelHa is great! You will have a wonderful day there. I suggest taking a taxi from your hotel and buy all inclusive ticket for XelHa when you get there (you can also buy them from some resorts, but do not purchase the tour, only the tickets) and take a taxi back to your hotel. That way you can arrive and depart when you want and it takes much less time than the tour bus, because the bus keeps stopping at all the other resorts to pick up people.

Go to xelha.com to see all the activities there. I also have some photos of XelHa posted here on TA.

philadelphia
Level Contributor
832 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Xel-Ha too touristy?

reallady...how can we access your xel-ha pictures?

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Cancun, Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Xel-Ha too touristy?

Just click on my picture and then click on my "photos".

philadelphia
Level Contributor
832 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Xel-Ha too touristy?

thanks!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Xel-Ha too touristy?

As someone else recommended don't take a tour (bus) as it stops all along at other resorts but the ADO bus you take from the public bus depot on ave 5 and its pretty cheap. The ADO only makes a few quick stops. Buy return tickets and they will give you the return times. You can even get your xel-ha tickets at the kiosk at the bus depot and avoid any line ups at the park.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,224 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Xel-Ha too touristy?

The ADO bus is a good option. And , of course, its touristy--but so is most anything else in the area.

kansas
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Xel-Ha too touristy?

duh, yeah. It is a Disneyfied Mexico experience. We found it to be beautiful, orderly, well signed and full of drunk tourists. THe snorkeling was not too good two years ago, due to hurricane damage. If you want original Mexico, this is not it! You might enjoy the food, drinks and safe environment with predictable experiences.