We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How reliable are weather forecasts???

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
How reliable are weather forecasts???

I am leaving on Sunday Feb 1st and will be there for a week so I am trying to pack the right kind of clothes and the forecast has been completely different every day, and now it is saying rain for almost every day I am there!!! That seems unusual for this time of year so I guess I am wondering what other people's experiences have been as far as forecasts and reliability.

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How reliable are weather forecasts???

Not reliable at all.

somewhere
Level Contributor
3,075 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How reliable are weather forecasts???

Pack for warm weather with the chance of the occasion shower now and again and you'll be fine.

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
716 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How reliable are weather forecasts???

Yeah it doesnt look great. We are going tomorrow for 2 weeks. Usually it might be a little shower, but its forcast down to low 70's degrees, wind, cloud and rain ! I have packed a couple of cardigans and longer sleeve pretty tops for the evening and linen trousers. But I always check the forecast before we go and in my experiance when it usually says rain it doesnt! I dont know why I torture myself!!! Fingers crossed for you and us! I have packed an umbrella as the buildings at the Iberostar Tucan are not all connected , so it might be handy to get to dinner without getting too soaked if the worst comes true. Also packed some playing cards and plenty of reading books. Perhaps I should buy some fake tan so that I can pretend to the folks back home that it was superb LOL

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
498 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How reliable are weather forecasts???

About as reliable as anyplace. In other words, not very! Maybe 2 days out is reliable, but after that, quit looking.

OHIO
Level Contributor
56 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How reliable are weather forecasts???

I just got back last week. It was supposed to rain 2 days and did not rain at all. It was wonderful. It got cery chilly in the evenings though, so bring a jacket. The sun sets early (5-6pm) so get up early and get your beach time in :-)

Essex, England
Level Contributor
122 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How reliable are weather forecasts???

I've just got back from a 2 week trip to Playa also, and we checked the weather forecast before we went,it's not very realiable at all, it said sunny and infact our 1st week was cloudy, rainy on occasions, and chilly at times, our 2nd week was lovely, although had a chilly wind sometimes on the beach, and cool evenings. So just make sure you pack something warm just incase......you could be lucky and have perfect weather.....but I'm sure you'll have a great time whatever the weather.....we did!!! :-)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How reliable are weather forecasts???

Thanks for responses, I will try to pack a variety but I don't check baggage so it all has to fit in the carry on! I have been to other places in Mexico but not playa so I am sure it will be unique in weather. I am used to the afternoon shower because living in Costa Rica we had a daily downpour in the rainy season but only lasted an hour or two.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
8. Re: How reliable are weather forecasts???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 19:21