We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tucan disappointment!

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
N Lincs Englad
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tucan disappointment!

My wife and i booked the Tucan 14 months ago, and yesterday were told we had to change to the Grand Flamenc Xcaret, well after reading reviews there is no way we are going there! When i finally got an explination i was told the Hotel had overbooked!! Can anyone else please let me know if they are able to book the Tucan, or if you are in the same situation as us, this is pathetic after a 14 month wait to be told less than a month before we are due to go. Any advice or comments most welcome. As i am sure you can guess we are NOT happy!

Thanks

MN
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Tucan disappointment!

Hi Rick,

My wife and I will also be @ the Tucan during this time 9/17-9/24 we booked through mexicovisitorcenter.com and they have been very good so far. They are located in Colorado and are easily found on the web. If you make it to the Tucan let's hook up for a beer.

Jim

N Lincs Englad
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
22. Re: Tucan disappointment!

If i make it there i'll buy them for sure!!!

N Lincs Englad
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: Tucan disappointment!

Latest reply..

Dear Mr. Phillips:

We're dealing with Airtours/Direct Holidays,,,, but we can not let you know which clients are part of Airtours or Direct Holidays,,,, because is the same company for me..... as I informed you, we have clients staying during the period of Sept. 19, (14 nights)

Regards,

Miriam

This stinks!

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
192 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Tucan disappointment!

Rick, you don't need to buy anyone a beer if you make it there, it's all inclusive - sit back and enjoy. I love that. Sorry, not to make light of this. I hope you get to the Tucan, you will love the place, we've been there twice and are contemplating a third time. Contact mexicovisitorcenter.com and get yourself to Mexico and start relaxing. That is so wrong that they tell you it's the hotel's fault when they never even booked you there.

N Lincs Englad
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
25. Re: Tucan disappointment!

Well ok i overlooked the buying the beer bit, i'll fetch them from the bar then ;-) i cant say fairer than that. Though somehow i doubt we'll get there this year!!

St Helens, United...
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
682 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Tucan disappointment!

Hi Rick

I posted almost the exact same senario back in June. We had been issued with our tickets and then 5 days before departure we were contacted and initially told that the Tucan had cancelled their contract with Airtours. Then we were told, like you, that the Tucan had overbooked, but the Tucan's email to me confirmed that Airtours are constantly overbooking their allotment.

Over the past 8 or more weeks, many many people have posted on that thread 'Tucan cancels Airtours contract' about their cancellations by Airtours/Direct Holidays (all part of the UK's MyTravel group). A lot of them were not even given the notice that you and I were given, but told upon arrival in Cancun. There are also very many more people sweating now on whether they will actually get to the Tucan. One lady I feel particularly sorry for because she is getting married there in February and has guests coming for other countries.

You may by now have realised that this company must surely have major contractual/financial problems. Its not only happening on long haul holidays either.

MyTravel's AGM back in May informed shareholders of 'downsizing' in the UK in 2005. I'm afraid that you, I and a lot of holidaymakers have suffered for their revised business plan.

uk
1 post
Save Reply
27. Re: Tucan disappointment!

hi i had the exact same thing happen to me in july same hol company and we also booked 14 months in advance. after looking on loads of the forums i found out that direct hols (part of the my travel group) had sold there roo allocation on certain dates to thomson holidays. i can not belive this is still happeneing and they are getting away with it. the tucan is still in their brochure and they are still taking peoples money knowing full well they are unable to send them there. if you search under 'airtours forums you will find loads of this info. im still fighting my claim and hope you are successful with yours. dont know if this is of any help but the iberostar quetzal is in the thomas cook brochure (sister hotel of tucan) and they are not part of the my travel group.

St Helens, United...
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
682 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Tucan disappointment!

Hi Squirtle

Thank you for taking the time to register on this site and join the group of unhappy customers of this rotten company who didn't get what they contracted this company for. You wonder how they are still getting away with. I really don't know, but I know a lady who has been in touch with a TV researcher and is collating evidence to bring this more into the public domain. Perhaps you could email her at dizzyb23@hotmail.com and pass on your experience. She's currently on honeymoon in Cancun (not at her original booking) and somewhere she would probably never have chosen if she hadn't had her booking changed 3 times!!!!!!!!

A lot of those who were moved were allocated the Copacabana. Was this true in your case?

We were offered 80pounds each to move there, which we refused. We cancelled, got a refund and just 40pounds compensation in the end.

Lakeville...
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Tucan disappointment!

Hi Rick-

I booked with Liberty Travel. I use them everytime I go to Mexico (every 6mos) and I have NEVER had a problem.

I hope your situation pans out for you.

Wherever you are in Mexico, get tanned, get relaxed and get HAMMERED.

St Helens, United...
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
682 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Tucan disappointment!

Rick

I don't know if this info is reassurance for you but MarkAC was due to go on 17/9. After being worried by all these bumping reports, he eventually got an honest answer from DH on 5/8 that they intented relocating him. In all the time I've been following this story, I've only know of one person who actually got to stay at the Tucan and their booking was taken over by Thomson when Airtours downsized.