We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help finding PDC hotel for Vancouver family

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
vancouver
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Help finding PDC hotel for Vancouver family

Hi, I am on information/research overload. I am looking for a smaller AI resort with a beautiful, safe swimmable beach for family vacation (kids aged 4 and 7). Want a kids club and kids pool but don't want to pay more than $5K for hotel/air from Vancouver. Please help. By the way what are these sand whales I have been reading about and are they all over PDC?

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help finding PDC hotel for Vancouver family

Chris - the sand whales are the huge bags filled by the sand and placed into the sea close to the shore to keep the sand from being washed into the sea (beach erosion). There are the pictures of these bags in my review if you click on my name it takes you to my profile. All Playacar beach is with the sand whales, it makes it not that beautiful and not that safe, it is the area immediately south from the Playa Del Carmen. In Playa Del Carmen itself most beaches are fine but there are only a few AI and none of them are small, the one with the good rating is adult only.

I suggest you to look at the other areas in the Riviera Maya area, further south, although can not recommend any smaller resorts there with the kids club and kids pool as smaller resorts are usually expensive Adults only properties (unless anyone else knows otherwise). For the kids of that age, Barcelo Maya resort is a very good choice as despite being a big property, it is designed in a way that makes it for less walking then other resorts. The beach is beautiful, the food is very good and their huge kids-only pool is the best for the age of your kids. It is located in Puerto Aventuras, look on the web-sites like escapes.ca or itravel2000 or selloffvacations for the price.

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help finding PDC hotel for Vancouver family

Hi! I highly recommend the Grand Sirenis. It has a cove beach that is great for kids. There are no sand whales at this resort. It also has a great kids club with a pool and a lazy river that kids love! Some people think it is a large resort but I have stayed at much larger. It is a very family friendly resort that I'm sure your family would enjoy!

Wakefield, Ma
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help finding PDC hotel for Vancouver family

Grand Sirenis has just over 500 rooms. It's not what I'd consider a small resort. It's a lot smaller that Barcelo but how small did you mean?

Calgary
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help finding PDC hotel for Vancouver family

I just got back from the Royal Club at OGX and would recommend it highly. Sub-resort of 45 rooms, several Canadian families there, ALL a la Carte dining 3x a day, pool snacks, room service, private pool, and nice calm lagoon for swimming.

vancouver
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help finding PDC hotel for Vancouver family

Well I was thinking of a place 200 rooms or less. Is there such a place in or around PDC that is affordable?

Wakefield, Ma
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help finding PDC hotel for Vancouver family

Most all-inclusives have at least 350 to 400 rooms. You could check out the Akumal Beach resort. There are about 240 rooms. It had been damaged by a fire and has just re-opened. The beach is supposed to be beautiful and there is great snorkeling right off of the beach. Everything is smaller so there are only 2 a la carte restaurants (Mexican and Japenese) plus the buffet. Most reviews are good but many comment about the rooms being outdated. Good luck!

CT
Level Contributor
2,119 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help finding PDC hotel for Vancouver family

Try looking at the Sandos Playacar which is about 45 minutes from the Cancun airport. When you look at the number of rooms it looks large (they have expanded in the past few years) but if you stay in the beach section you are RIGHT ON the beach and the layout is very open and easy to navigate. If you are in the main pool you can see the ocean and you have ocean views or partial ocean views from one of the restaurants and your room.

The Rivieria section (newest section) and hacienda section are near the road and make the resort seem much larger but if you are in the beach section and don't want to wander around the resort it seems like a small resort with everything centrally located. The price is very reasonable for families and it is geared to families of all ages and size.

We are going in April and this will be our third trip. A year ago we went to the Iberostar Lindo and it was simply gorgeous and more upscale but it was too big for our taste so I understand what you mean about looking for a smaller resort. So my advice is not to judge solely on number of rooms, sometimes it is more about the geographical layout of the resort.

The resort right beside the Sandos Playacar is smaller too and people rave about it. It is called the Iberostar Tucan. It is more "jungly" than open in the layout but a friend of mine returns there almost every year and loves it. Hope this is helpful.

vancouver
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help finding PDC hotel for Vancouver family

Thanks very much everyone, I will check out your suggestions. It is always good to hear from people who have actually been there.

Wakefield, Ma
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help finding PDC hotel for Vancouver family

Chris makes a valid point. The Iberostar Tucan and Quetzal and the Sandos Playacar are great resorts and are certainly rated better than the smaller family all inclusives. They all have a great kids club and entertainment team too and more dining options. There are 461 rooms at the Sandos and 350 each at the Tucan and Quetzal but they are much smaller than the Barcelo, Palladium, Gran Bahia etc.

Wakefield, Ma
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help finding PDC hotel for Vancouver family

Sorry---that was supposed to be Silverstarfish made the good point.