We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! 3 females can't decide where to stay!

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
WV
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Help! 3 females can't decide where to stay!

Not able to find a good map online that shows location of hotels. We are looking for a good beach area in Playa. We've read alot about sandbags, rocks etc. Want a good beach walking distance to shopping and clubs! Not a family oriented area! 3 females 40ish. (the new 30ish)

Ohio
Level Contributor
335 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! 3 females can't decide where to stay!

I just returned from PDC in late January and we had stayed at Mimi Del Mar which we really enjoyed. It was just to your right as you walk to the dead end of 4 calle at the beach. It is an outstanding location for activities on 5th St. You can walk everywhere. Looking back and looking forward to next year, another place or 2 we may condsider is/are Playa Maya, Alhambra and Fusion. The beach is very nice in front of those places...a little nicer if I must say so myself, than where we stayed which was just about 100-150 yards from the others mentioned. As far as the location goes, you will not beat it for a beach hotel. All of these places will cost you about 100-150 per night and although none are luxury, all are nice and clean with great staffs.

Southern Illinois
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! 3 females can't decide where to stay!

Try www.locogringo.com for good maps. When are you going?

WV
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! 3 females can't decide where to stay!

We are going the 3rd or 4th wk in April. Looking for all inclusive. We considered The Royal or Grand Porto Real. Since we haven't booked yet we found that the Royal has gone up significantly the last 2 months. Went down in price last couple wks though. Looked at the ariel maps on loco but doesn't list all of the resorts. Did show wider beach at Royal.

Ohio
Level Contributor
335 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! 3 females can't decide where to stay!

You need to check out mapchick for her maps. I'm not sure you can get them before your trip but they are great reference.

Detroit
Level Contributor
72 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! 3 females can't decide where to stay!

...walking distance to shopping and clubs!

..want AI??

If you are an even mildly adventurous group of new 30’s, I think you may be disappointed with AI’s. They sound like a good deal, but it really limits you to staying in one place…even if you plan on doing the club scene. Playa del Carmen has so much to offer as far as restaurants, beach clubs, etc.

We always go in March, so I don’t know how fast hotels book up for April, but if you have time, I suggest you research non AI’s.

After 2 years of AIs (Gran Porto Real…which we did enjoy) now, we exclusively stay at Luna Blue, which we love!! There are, however, many other very nice & inexpensive hotels in downtown PDC….

Good luck in your research and have a great vacation!!!

CT
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! 3 females can't decide where to stay!

I love that you put "the new 30ish" because I'm in that group too. I can't help you with a resort because we have gone to 2 great AIs but they are family oriented.

Some people like NOT going the AI route but we love it, it is so relaxing not planning where you want to eat or waiting for bills etc.

I would encourage you to take an excursion. If you 3 are adventuresome try alltournative tours and climb Coba!! We took that trip one year and my son thought I was the coolest mom ever. Mexico is full of great places of interest so I would recommend at least one day trip off the resort property.

p.s. don't get too excited about the shopping because I have been to Mexico 3 times and have never bought anything except a souvenir for my son. Although we did consider a hammock one year.

WV
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! 3 females can't decide where to stay!

Thanks for the good info! We are still contemplating.

Iowa
Level Contributor
291 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! 3 females can't decide where to stay!

If you stay in the RIU complex you can have as many as 6 resorts to check-out. We personally like the RIU Tequila. We party and hang out @ the Yucatan and then stroll back to the Tequila for a little down time. Best of both worlds. They are all inclusive.

Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! 3 females can't decide where to stay!

Hi

I stayed last july at the viva wyndham azteca it's on the beach nearly opposite the riu tequila can also use the facilities in the sister hotel about a 10 minute walk away.

They are sandbags in the water but did not effect in anyway. Had a lovely beach, could not fault the hotel all inclusive good food.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! 3 females can't decide where to stay!

The riu resorts are only a 20 minute walk into playa via a nice sidewalk and homes. Taxi is $5US.