We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Update from the Valentin

Ontario
Level Contributor
330 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Update from the Valentin

Hi all,

My husband and I are at the Valentin right now so I thought I'd pop in and post a quick update.

We are in building 2 on the second floor. So far, no issues with toilets backing up or sewage or anything nasty. Bathrobes and slippers are provided, but no evening turn-down service in our room category, so I was informed by the One Touch Concierge.

About an hour after we got into our room, a maintenance man came by and checked our pot lights and replaced the three that were burnt out. (We did not notice them until he came by.) It looked like he was changing the ballasts as well as the bulbs so maybe they have figured out they have a problem and are trying to correct it.

Check-in was a bit of a fiasco, trying to get the room we wanted. We weren't necessarily asking for an upgrade, but I wanted a top floor room in building 5 and we were originally in building 2 on the second floor. They said they would see what they could do and when we came back to get our room assignment at 3:00, they had put us in a ground floor room in building 5 with two double beds. They wanted us to take that room and then move the next day to a room with a king-sized bed but I have read some problems from previous posters so I didn't want to do that. After some frustration, they finally gave us the room we have which was the same type/area as what we originally were assigned, except now the desk clerk scowled at us thinking we were trying to get a "free upgrade". Technically the rooms in building 2 are Silver Suites, but honestly except for the slippers I can't see what constitutes an upgrade with these rooms, they are the same size and layout as the Deluxe Junior Suites but with slightly different decor.

Anyhow, I am signing off but feel free to ask any questions and I'll try to answer them if I get back on here before we leave, or after I get home.

See ya! :)

Amy

Ontario
Level Contributor
330 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Update from the Valentin

p.s. The place is beautiful and 98% of the service is excellent, and so far all of the food we've had has been exceptional!

Edmonton
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Update from the Valentin

Hi Amy: if possible could you check and take a picture for me. When taking the path to the LaMarche buffet Rest there is a path on your left that is marked showing the LaHacienda(Mexican Rest) I underatand they have corrected the signs to stop entry down this path. It would be great if you could help me out.

Murray

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
866 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Update from the Valentin

I'm glad it's going well! Have fun!

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Update from the Valentin

Hi Amethyst2421 -

I hate to even admit requesting this, but would you be willing to take a few detailed pics of the bar and especially the liquor selection behind it? I am curious as to what specific top shelf brands they carry, etc... Thank you in advance regardless.

Ontario
Level Contributor
330 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Update from the Valentin

Hi Bigmurr,

During the day, the pathway to La Hacienda is open but the arrow on the sign has been covered up with masking tape. At night, they have a movable sign with an arrow pointing to the entrance to La Marche that says "La Hacienda" and it sat in the middle of the entrance to the pathway the night we went to La Hacienda. Even with this sign on the path, two couples went down this path and waited for the hostess thinking it was the entrance to the restaurant.

The night I went back to take a picture of the sign, they had a garbage bin in the middle of the entrance to the pathway and the movable sign was off the pathway, closer to the entrance to La Marche.

I have taken some photos of the new signage so send me your email address and I'll email them to you.

The lighting on most of the pathways is terrible at night. We were there during a full moon and thank god for that! One night, we left our building for dinner at about 6:45pm and the pathway leading from our building was PITCH BLACK! There was a newly arrived couple with a bellboy and luggage and we almost ran into them because it was so dark. This was my biggest complaint about this resort.

Wolfpack, I'm sorry but I didn't get a chance to capture any photos of the selection at the bars. There are many different bars and oddly, the selection IS different at the different places. For example, at the Plaza and Sports bars, they had a different Irish Cream (not Bailey's), but at the main pool bar they had real Bailey's. I thought that was odd.

Amy

Wallingford, PA
Level Contributor
312 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Update from the Valentin

Hi Amy,

How has your stay been? Food, service, etc?

Thanks,

Paul

WI
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Update from the Valentin

Hi we are headed to the Valentin on Wed. morning. I can't wait. Is the internet some where convenient or did you bring a lap top? Do you know if any one has been able to use their cell phones there? What is the weather like? Do you have to dress up for all the restaurants? Sorry I have so many questions. But I just can't wait to get there and I am packing right now and want to bring the right clothes.

Thanks alot Maybe we will see you there.

Wallingford, PA
Level Contributor
312 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Update from the Valentin

Poker they have a business station with about 3 4 computers. If you being a laptop remember to being a cat cable or you will have to rent one. Long pants at some of the nicer restaurants are required. We will see you there Friday. 2nd time. You will love this place.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Update from the Valentin

Thsnk you Amy. I emailed you my email address. Thanks for the information. Looking forward to the pictures.

Wallingford, PA
Level Contributor
312 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Update from the Valentin

sorry for the misspelling.. sent from blackberry