We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Final Two-Sandos Beach or Riu Yucatan???

Canby, Oregon
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Final Two-Sandos Beach or Riu Yucatan???

Down to the final two selections, please help me decide. We want a nice beach, nice clean hotel with good food, close to town, not too crowded, nice part of ocean, nightlife, view if possible, swim up bar, nice clean grounds and waiters in beach or pool area. Thanks!!!!

CT
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Final Two-Sandos Beach or Riu Yucatan???

We are returning to the Sandos Beach for our third time so of course I am going to vote SP. From everything you list I would say that SP will provide that except for the nightlife but you can go into town for that. For me the deciding feature would be the beach. Sandos Playacar wins hands down on that one. You don't mention children so remember that SP is very family oriented.

Canby, Oregon
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Final Two-Sandos Beach or Riu Yucatan???

Thanks Silver Starfish. No, we won't have any children and want a relaxing vacation. I don't mind kids around as long as they are not too rowdy and their parents are aware of what they are doing. We went to Cancun a couple years back and the kids at the pool were very loud and rude, the parents did nothing but ignored them. I can't wait to go, we have always gone to Cancun in the past but took a taxi down to Playa the last time we went and loved it! We are going the last week of April. What all do you do when you go? I want to go to 5th street and maybe snorkel in Akumal.

vancouver
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Final Two-Sandos Beach or Riu Yucatan???

Our kids our 4 and 7, should be bring our own sand toys or buy them there and leave them there? Can we rent/borrow life jackets and bike helmets?

nycbeachaddict
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Final Two-Sandos Beach or Riu Yucatan???

I stayed at sandos last August and didn’t like it at all. You have to be part of their vacation club to get a good room or a room with a view or any attention at all.

Rivera section is way too far from the beach and the haciendas are run down and deserted.

Southern Illinois
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Final Two-Sandos Beach or Riu Yucatan???

Going back to the Yucatan for our ninth time in March. Good food, great staff, 2 swimup bars, 2 poolside bars, 2 self serve bars, and a lobby bar. Nicest beach in 3 years. Great place!

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,805 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Final Two-Sandos Beach or Riu Yucatan???

Glad to hear you've rebooked YM.

Canby, Oregon
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Final Two-Sandos Beach or Riu Yucatan???

I decided to book at Sandos Beach, I hope we don't regret it. I read so many great reviews that I just finally did it. I'm going to try and upgrade to a beach view once we get there. Does anyone know if they do it for free, maybe flash them a $20 or what? Thank you.

8. Re: Final Two-Sandos Beach or Riu Yucatan???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 23:19