We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandos Playacar Questions

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Sandos Playacar Questions

Hi All!

We booked our first trip to Sandos Playacar this week and I have a couple of questions.

We have stayed AI before, but it was a strict no tipping resort. Is tipping ok, expected at Sandos? If so do you tip like you were at a bar when getting drinks?

For the reservation restaurants do you need to make reservations at the ones you want to eat at when you first get there? Does it seem hard to get reservations?

For the reservation restaurants when it says “shirts” and long slacks what exactly do they mean by shirts? Like dress shirts or polo shirts? Are women OK in capris and sandals? Can men wear sandals?

TIA, I am sure I will have more questions as we get closer!

Grosse Ile, Michigan
Level Contributor
894 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandos Playacar Questions

Tipping is not expected but certainly appreciated.We usually tip $5 day maid, $2 per meal per couple in the buffets, and a $1 or $2 every couple of drinks at the bar. I'm happy to tip for wait service so I don't have to get out of my beach chair:)

Might be best to make all of your reservations when you first get there, depending on the time of year it may be harder to get reservations.

Women can wear whatever they like in the restaurants, men long pants and I'd have to say anything but a T-shirt. My husband wore sandals.

When are you going? I will be back for my 3rd time May 1st.

Terrie

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandos Playacar Questions

Thank you! We are going April 21-28. Later than we wanted, but at least we get to go, right. :)

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandos Playacar Questions

you'll love it beachbums! we'll be there March 13-20th, and we stayed at Sandos 3 years ago.

My husband wore jeans and a t-shirt in the restaurants without any problem (he doesn't do polo short sleeves!)

And as was posted above, the tips are most certainly appreciated. The daily wage there isn't much. :)

Strongsville, Ohio
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandos Playacar Questions

beachbums, As long as you look presentable you will be ok at the restaurants. My husband wore khaki shorts and sandals and it was fine.

Have fun!!

Durham,NC
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandos Playacar Questions

Just returned last week. We tipped the maids $3 a day. Wait staff $1 every other drink. Hubby wore jeans first night and khakis second night and closed toed shoes to al a carte. I wore jeans first night and capris second night. Have a great time!

CT
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandos Playacar Questions

We head there in April and our last vacation there was 3 years ago. I remember my first trip, i.e. clothes...I packed way too much (and I am a light packer) First of all it was warmer than I thought so now I only pack light cotton outfits (and we usually go in February.) It was also a lot more casual than I expected so for women, capri's or dressy walking shorts are perfect for the ala cartes.

It's nice to pack 2 - 3 bathing suits because you suit doesn't seem to fully dry overnight, even on the balcony. And remember a roomy beach bag packed with lots of suntan lotion, good books and an underwater camera (in case you want to take it up parasailing, etc. and not risk your good digital.) I can't wait to go!!!

7. Re: Sandos Playacar Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 05:28