We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top Authentic MX Restaurants ??

Wash DC
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Top Authentic MX Restaurants ??

4 Couples staying at Iberostar Grand late March, but I know we will want to come down for some drinks and dinner a night or two. And would like the nicest and most authentic Mexican place....that also has a nice, and preferably outdoor atmosphere.

Can anyone suggest a few please??

Thanks, Mong

kansas city
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Top Authentic MX Restaurants ??

best mexican places are not necessarily the nicests- usually "joint"

try La Parilla on 5th ave

CO
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Top Authentic MX Restaurants ??

Authentic Food: (probably not the atmosphere you want)

El Fogon

Asaderero Norternos

CH Super Carnes

HC Monterry

Nicer atmosphere:

La Pesca- seafood

La Cueva del Chango- jungle setting

Cactus

Carboncitas

Yaxche

Ajua

Happy Eating! :) CW

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i15504-Playa_De…

delaware
Level Contributor
291 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Top Authentic MX Restaurants ??

I can suggest a couple of my favorites.

The closest to Playacar, where your hotel is located, would be Carboncitos (charcoals). It has a varied menu, but specializes in al Pastor based dishes. Also try the salsa platter (5 salsas served with totopos). It is located on Calle 4 just off of the corner of 5th Ave. Most seating is indoors, but they have tables on the street and a new rooftop dining area.

My favorite is El Fogon (the stove). They have 3 locations all generally along 30th Ave. One at Calle 6, one at Constituyentes and one at Calle 32. They have a variety of grilled meat specialities. Alambres (meaning wires) are grilled mixtures of meat and vegetables (sis kebabs without the skewer). My wife really likes the Hawaiano with pineapple and ham. None of the locations have 4 walls, so are pretty open air.

If you want a piece of grilled Mexican steak (arrachera) try either CH Super Carnes on Calle 1 sur and 20th Ave or either HC de Monterey (at 30th Ave and Constituyentes or CTM (Calle 42) between 5th and 10th. Arrachera National is marinated, tenderized skirt steak served with baked potato or onion, avocado, salsa, crema, chiles, and tortillas for about 100 pesos.

For ethnic Mayan food, try El Faisen y El Venado on the east side of 307 at Ave Juarez. It is a very neat light restaurant, but is not outdoors. It is actually the restaurant of a small hotel.

There are many more ethnic places, but I suspect they would be pretty much out of your comfort zone, being more taco stands and daytime only places.

If you want an American-Mexican experience, you can go to La Parilla on 5th Ave at Calle 8. Personally, I find it to be sort of a caricature of a Mexican restaurant designed for gringos. The food tends to be variable and overpriced compared to the other places. It is mostly open-air and right on 5th, but it is not significantly different from La Tolteca in Fairfax. You can do much better for the money.

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Top Authentic MX Restaurants ??

We agree with every restaurant mentioned and would a few more. La Destillelra is a large, upscale traditional mexican food restaurant. It is along the lines of La Parilla, but better food, more interesting menu and a nicer restaurant facility. It's on 5th avenue between 24th and 25th.

We also love the shrimp tacos and seafood at El Oasis out on Highway 307 next to the old telabodega store.

For a list of "really" local places in the neighborhood where we live checkout our blog at …wordpress.com/2008/…

Have fun.

Tony and Cheri

Luna Blue Hotel and Bar

5. Re: Top Authentic MX Restaurants ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 05:25