We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you keep on your person?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, Canada
Level Contributor
130 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
What do you keep on your person?

When you are walking around your resort, or on the beach or at the pool, what do you do with your money/ID/passport/cameras? I would assume most people keep their things in their safe in the hotel room and keep some money and their camera on them. However, are you ever fearful that these things are being taken from your room while you are out and about?

I continue to hear about theft occurring at our chosen resort, and I have to say I am a little concerned, as I have not heard these complaints about previous resorts I have visited in the Caribbean.

Just looking for your opinions. Thanks !

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,718 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do you keep on your person?

i carry a small backpack and carry everything of value in there. but then i dont bring a watch, or jewellry, or loads of cash with me. so im basically just bringing my wallet, small digital camera, passport, maybe a drink or two and some other little trinkets in my pack. also good if you buy something and need to tote it around.

in the evening, ill wear the cargo shorts and pretty much all of that fits in my pockets.

ive only ever used the in-room hotel safe once, and that was to hold some chips in a vegas hotel. everything else stays with me pretty much 24/7.

i view a hotel room there as i would a large busy office. i would never keep anything of value just sitting on my desk in plain sight if i were to be gone for long periods of time. if i wouldnt keep it on my desk in my office, i wouldnt leave it in my hotel room.

kansas city
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do you keep on your person?

15 trips to Mexico- no problems - we always lock our passports and tourist card in safe- never carry on us

Portsmouth, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do you keep on your person?

We have made 9 trips to the area and never had a problem. We place our passports, most of the money we take with us, jewelry, and other valuables in the in-room safe. The nice thing about staying at an AI resort is that you do not need to carry any money with you while you are at the resort. Also, we never take very much money with us when we go. You can always use an ATM to get money if you need more than you have.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,850 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do you keep on your person?

We've been going to Cancun for 18 years and never had a problem. When around the resort I usually carry only my room card which is a resort charge card. Everything else is locked in the safe upon arrival. I also don't bring lots of jewelry and wear it all the time. Years ago I bought a cheap fake diamond wedding set on QVC.com which I wear for travel because I almost lost my real wedding rings in the pool after lotioning up. They slipped right off my finger but I luckily found them. I'd have been very upset if I had lost them! Now I wouldn't be loosing much and it wouldn't really bother me too much.

I only remove my purse and take the cash I need when I'm going shopping off the resort or out to dinner. Passports stay in the safe along with travel docs all the time.

Cheryl

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
71 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do you keep on your person?

We keep everything of value in the safe. We always check to make sure it is indeed locked before we leave. Sometimes you think it is but it isn't. Around the resort (beach, pool) we have a beach bag and a camera is in it along with a few one dollar bills, sunscreen etc. and no one has ever touched it and we have never see anyone touching anyone elses stuff.

6. Re: What do you keep on your person?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 16:19