We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Locations

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mass
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Locations

Pls help! I am trying to figure out which AI to stay at, and location is a big deal of course. I am sooooo confused about where to stay. Is there a DOWNTOWN area that we can walk to? I thought one travel agent told me we would want to stay at Gran Porto Real Playa del Carmen for that very reason, but it is pricey and not sure "enough' for my 10 & 12 yr old boys. Another agent suggested the Occ Grand Xcaret because it is next to the XCaret, which does not interest me too mcuh (butshould it??) but apparently that is in another town? Sorry, maybe someone can guide me to a map, suggest the best area to stay in??? We want to take day trips to Cozumel, maybe Cancun, etc

Southern Illinois
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Locations

There are some maps on here. Some picture maps of the area are at locogringo.com

Mass
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Locations

Thank you, but what is "happening?" I don't know I can get that from a map....

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Locations

If you're looking to be right in town, the Gran Porto is in a great location. Playacar Palace is also in a great location. The resort area known as Playacar has quite a few hotels, all are AI. They are within walking distance although some are pretty far south, but taxi's are readily available and only take a few minutes to get into Playa del Carmen. There are lots of hotels in town but most of them only include breakfast. You might want to consider them if you're looking to be right in town. There are so many places to eat from downright cheap to more on the expensive side. If you're in an AI, you don't really get the Playa experience.

Southern Illinois
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Locations

look right abobe the posts. there's a list of things to do and places to stay. When you mentioned 'location', just thought a map may be a benefit. maybe not.

Bristol, New...
Level Contributor
597 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Locations

Hi- I booked the Reef Playacar on Bookit.com- I got a great deal going April 24-May 1 ($455 each plus taxes) out of Boston- The resort is about a 15minute walk to town or a $5 taxi ride- Many people walk to town then taxi back- We are looking at going to Hidden Worlds for an excursion- Check it out as your boys (and you) may really enjoy it-

Mass
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Locations

Actually the map did help me to see that these towns are are along the coast, so maybe we can't go wrong with any of them.....

Mass
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Locations

Thanks - good to know. I read an old post that said be sure not to confuse PDC with Playacar... I don't see Playacar on the map so is it kinds like a suburb of PDC? Is staying in PDC itself better?

As I mentioned, we are doing AI to give the boys that feeling of having "whatever they want" for a few days, but don't want to spend so much that we feel we can't eat nice meals out a few times too....

we want SOME cluture!

Also, I see you have posted a ton about PDC - is it worth being closer to Tulum?

Embarrass, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Locations

Try looking at www.intheroo.com and don't forget the interactive map on their website.

If the Gran Porto Real is too expensive they have another resort (off the beach) called Real Playa del Carmen and it uses the beach at Gran Porto Real via shuttle to/fro. I know your kids would like it.

www.realresorts.com

Mass
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Locations

Cool..thank you! Just looking at it now...I see restaurants labled but no resorts though...

CO
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Locations

jess,

No matter where you stay, take a taxi, bus or colectivo to get around the area. Click on the links on the left, Before You Go, Things To Do, and read the traveler's articles for stuff to do and transportation.

http://www.travelyucatan.com/collectivo.php

strablinsky answered about playacar above.

For "culture", head to Tulum Mayan site, have lunch in town at El Tacoqueto, swim in a cenote, snorkel in Akumal and go across the highway for lunch.

Your boys would probably love Xcaret. Yes, if you stay anywhere along the coast, other places are easily accessible. You might want to look into Edventure tours, Alltournavtive tours, The Jungle Place...So much information can be found in the links on the left or by searching different keywords in the box above Have Fun! :) CW

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i15504-Playa_De…