We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Yucatan vs IB Tucan

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
13,936 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Yucatan vs IB Tucan

I've booked the Riu Yucatan because of a great deal Apple was offering, with the understanding with my trav agent that if a great deal comes up for an IB resort, I'd like to possibly upgrade. Well, just one week later, Apple runs a special on the IB resorts!!!!! Go figure!

Few questions on comparing the Riu Yucatan with the IB Tucan.

Which has the nicer pool area? (I know Yucatan just added a new pool and bar, but Tucan says they have 4?

Which resort might have less children? We don't have any, so aren't used to having them around, not that we don't like them . . .

Which resort will have better dining choices and ease of reservations?

To be certain, the Tucan and Quetzal are together, correct? And the IB and the Yucatan are both a 5 min distance from Playa (we plan on going in to town quite a bit).

Any other info is really helpful and much appreciated!!!!! Thank you in advance!

philadelphia
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Yucatan vs IB Tucan

Go to the Riu Palace Mexico right next door to the Yucatan and you can use The Yucatan facilities except dinner, but, you will not want to leave the Palace. None of the other Riu's can use the Palace. Tucan very busy, a lot of kids. We were just at the Palace 18th-25th and last year we stayed at the Tucan. The pool at the Tucan is nicer, but nothing else compares to the Palace and like I said, you can go next door and use the pool at the Yucatan and the Rui Tepuila is across the street you can go there as well.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
13,936 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Yucatan vs IB Tucan

We were at teh Riu Palace in Cancun back in April, and I know what you mean! Unfortunately, they aren't offering a great deal for the Riu Palace in Playa, so it's not on my list of options right now.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Yucatan vs IB Tucan

I was at the Riu Palace last month also and loved it. Personally, I wouldn't stay at the Yucatan because the pool area was so crowded. I went up to look at it and even though there is a new pool and additional pool bar, it was packed with people of all ages, including kids. Many of the Riu Tequila guests use the Yucatan pool and beach. Actually, I walked the beach up and down and the only resort I saw that I would like to try was the Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal. So, for me, Riu Palace is #1 and the Tucan #2 in Playacar.

STL
Level Contributor
308 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Yucatan vs IB Tucan

Kind of depends on when you are going. If you are going when most of the kids are in school, it won't be a problem no matter where you are staying. The holiday weeks, spring break, and the summer months will be when you will have the most problem with the resorts being crowded with children.

I would say that other than that the resorts are probably really similar in terms of facilities and amenities.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
13,936 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Yucatan vs IB Tucan

We are going early Dec, 3-10th, so I'm hoping most kids are in school yet, since it is just before the Xmas break. I think I'm leaning towards the Tucan, or any IB right now, if the price is going to be right. Just because I've done a Riu before, never an IB. Plus the pool area looks nicer at the Tucan. I'm calling my trav agen this morning to find out what it's going to cost to tranfer. Love the opinions, thanks so much!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
13,936 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Yucatan vs IB Tucan

Looks like everything is a "go" to upgrade to the IB Tucan! I've found some more reviews at Debbie's Caribbean site, and they are almost gushing over with positive comments. Now I'm getting excited! I would not have been disappointed in the Yucatan, but since we've done a Riu before, I've always wanted to try an IB resort!

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,771 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Yucatan vs IB Tucan

That's allright Zsa Zsa, we'll still look for you as we're walking south along the beach. Oh, and BTW I asked my daughter if she'd like a date with a guy from Wisconsin. She said she doesn't like cheese so guess that means no. LOL

Bob

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
13,936 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu Yucatan vs IB Tucan

I asked about the Riu Palacek, but Apple was all sold out for our dates! Are our resorts right next to each other? I think I read that somewhere. yes, maybe we will run in to each other on the beach, we might be wearing Green Bay Packer's clothing!!!

Too bad about your daughter . . .still not sure if he's going yet, can't make up his mind. I could bring an official "Cheeeshead" that she can wear on her head! Honestly, you wouldn't catch me wearing one of them!

7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu Yucatan vs IB Tucan

We stayed at the IB Questel/Tucan last year and there were lots of kids young and old. Mot of them were out of control, the little ones refused to use the kiddy pool, not to mention there were a few adults in theirs. The young adults including the girls drank from morning to night. They were very rude, I guess they thought they were the only ones there on vacation. The managers did absolutly nothing to ease the problem. The food was good, we're not picky , the room was cleaned every day and the beach was beautiful. Try the Rui, we are.

Dallas
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Riu Yucatan vs IB Tucan

THe only thing I did not like about the IBTucan was the 2 hours of Techno music they blast at the beach around noon....

Do the RIU's also do this needless feat ??