We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valentin Falls to #15--Do they even CARE??

Glenview,Il
Level Contributor
288 posts
Save Topic
Valentin Falls to #15--Do they even CARE??

Now that the Valentin has fallen from #5 or #6 to #15 is it possible that their management team will come out from behind their big doors and listen to their guests and get a pulse on customer satisfaction. Is the Valentin a terrible resort? Absolutely not. Is it a first class, top of the list resort with all the bells and whistles that one looks for when they pay to be at a 6 Apple or a %8 or whatever other rating system you want to apply to it. All well run companies, especially in the hospitality industry spend a lot of time tracking thier customers and their satisfaction level. What do these wizzards behind the big doors in Oz do? If they really care about their customer base then why do they keep cutting aweay at the ameneties? Why is it so hard to speak to a manager when you are staying there? Why is it almost impossible to get them to return emails? Why do they ignore guests room requests for location and bed preference? Their marble floors are beautiful, but would it be that costly to give everybody a pair of slippers so you don't slip and fall without paying an extra charge of $50-$100 a night. Why can't they put sufficient lighting and effective signage on their pathways at night before somebody else slips and falls because they couldn't see where they are going?

Do you have a good time when you go there? In most cases absolutely. But how do they think that they can continue to charge in the same price brackets as other resorts that are truly 4.5 to 5*. The Harlem Globetrotters are fun to watch, but they are far from being a Pro NBA team. If you want to see real basketball you go see a Knicks or a Pistons or a Lakers game, etc.

We are going there again soon, but I am pretty certain that unless there is a big change this will be our last trip there. In my mind they are becoming a Chevy Tahoe that is masquerading as a Cadilac Escalade. If you want real Mexican food then you will probably be disappointed at Taco Bell.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
306 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Valentin Falls to #15--Do they even CARE??

Nice analogies, Playatime! As you know, I feel EXACTLY the same way...

It would be nice if management or some PR person would drop into these forums once in awhile to let us know that they hear our concerns...

When I return from my visit, I will make "value" a significant focus of my review, and try to give people an idea of what is reasonable to pay for what is being offered. As it stands, the reviews/boards seem to indicate that this hotel is NOT providing the service that it has in the past, or that many of us expected when we booked it in 2008.

Sounds like they might have gotten new management somewhere along the line?? Can anybody clarify -

Edmonton
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Valentin Falls to #15--Do they even CARE??

Playatime -- Excellent! I agree, when will they decide to listen. It appears that the management is staying benind closed doors and afraid to step up and say we need to do better. In my case after 6+ weeks I am still looking at another 6 before my back will be able to handle any load. That was a lot to pay for this vacation.

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Valentin Falls to #15--Do they even CARE??

Although, most of the resorts ahead of Valentin are either boutiques, family friendly AIs, or significantly more expensive than Valentin. The only adult-only AI resorts comparably priced that are ranked ahead of the Valentin are the Royal and Secrets Capri, and each of them have their own issues.

The average review for the last 5 pages of reviews is about 4.25 - just under its overall average of about 4.34. I don't see any real slippage in people's reviews, just other hotels are jumping it for whatever reason. For the price, it still seems like a pretty solid resort.

Glenview,Il
Level Contributor
288 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Valentin Falls to #15--Do they even CARE??

How many tenths of a second did Phelps win by to get some of his gold medals? The guy behind him can say that he "almost" won, but he can't say he won. The Valentin can say theu "used" to be #5 and that they "used" to offer robes and slippers to evryone like the better resorts,, and that they used to have towels on the lounge chairs like the better resorts, and that they "used" to offer Grey Goose Vodka and Grand Marnier like the better resorts, and that they "used" to have dependable daily maid service and nightly turn down service like the better resorts, and that they "used" to stop by your chaise and offer you chicken wings and other snacks,etc. but the fact remains true and clear. They cannot list those and other ammeneties in their marketing programs anymore. This all means less service and less value for the dollar.

Couple this with their refusal to put sufficient lighting on their pathways, a comment that is mentioned by almost every person who has been there. Have you ever gone to the front desk to ask to speak with management. In most cases it won't happen. They don't care or want to hear from you. They have your money and don't "seem" to care if you have a problem. Ask the many that have written in here about plumbing problems or the person who recently slipped and fell on an unlit, wrongly marked passageway and spent almost a week in the hospital without so much as an inquiry as to how he was to his poor, distraught wife let alone an acknowledgement of the incident and an apploogy.

Why is it so hard to admit that the old gal ain't what she used to be. I am fighting with it myself. My wife and I thought we had made an incredible find when we went there last year and couldn't wait to book it to go again. I bragged and bragged about what a great place it was, especailly for the money they were charging. Now they are in the same money brackets as Excellence and Secrets and some of the others that always have and still do offer the extras or at a minimum they are not cutting the service and style that they built their reputation and success on. I am disheartened to have to see this. We are going there in March and as I said above I will still have agreat time. If Cadilac and Mercedes drop power steering and power windows from their standard offerings, will you say they are just as good a car as they always were. Maybe the Lexus will be a better deal at some point.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
168 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Valentin Falls to #15--Do they even CARE??

Some people might think that this is silly, but I switched resorts from the Valentin to the ERC for our vacation this April. We went to the Valentin last April and like most of you, we LOVED it...for all the little reasons...the towels on the chairs, the robes and slippers, snacks at the pool, top shelf liquors, NO TOWEL CARDS, well maintained, etc...honestly, it was the towel cards that were the last straw for me...when we were there, we couldn't believe the luxury and how pampered we felt for the price...so much so that barely 24 hrs after our return we rebooked in higher room class (swim up). We didn't get a great deal, but honestly, we loved the resort so much, we didn't so much mind the price...our ta told us if it went on sale, we could rebook and refund the difference..we were set to go for April 4th...then the bad reviews started to pour in..things like missing tiles in the pool bother me, think of me as a snob if you like, but I wouldn't tolerate it in my own house, why should I tolerate it in a hotel...I can stay at a well cared for Holiday Inn and be perfectly happy if all the tiles are up on the wall...the ERC which we switched to a few days ago was actually $700 cheaper at this point!! last year when we looked at it, it was running close to $700 a night for 2, we couldn't afford it and we so wanted to return to VIM...all I can say is I'm sorry the Valentin went down hill...we really loved and looked forward to returning...maybe some day they'll get their act together and we will return, but I'm sure their prices will continue to rise, so we'll see..for now I'm perfectly happy to read the rave reviews of ERC...but so disappointed in the Valentin...

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Valentin Falls to #15--Do they even CARE??

I am amazed at the price you got for the ERC, or shocked at how much you paid for the Valentin. On Expedia, the Valentin is over $700 cheaper than the ERC for the week of May 10-17, when we are going. The Valentin is now down to under $2600 for a week with flights from Omaha (about $300 less than we paid a few months ago, although that is mostly because of flights being cheaper).

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
203 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Valentin Falls to #15--Do they even CARE??

I too switched my vacation in May to the ERC. The reviews at the VIM are not as good as ERC and it seems like little by little the "perks" that made them stand out have fallen away. I work hard and when I'm on vacation the last thing I want to worry about is plumbing problems. I'm much more excited about the ERC than I was about the VIM and think I made the right decision.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
168 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Valentin Falls to #15--Do they even CARE??

I'm a teacher so I always have to travel at the MOST EXPENSIVE times of the year...plus I live in the NY/NJ area so airfare is mindblowing...lucky me, right? It's 4147 on expedia for the valentin during the first week of april and about 3500 for ERC...don't know how, or why since it's always so expensive for ERC from here...you don't even want to know about air (yep that was land only)...but I teach children with disabilities and these trips kind of reset my brain to finish out the year with a smile..so it's worth it...although I worked it out once and it was cheaper to fly to about a half dozen places around the world and then travel to mexico from there...but that would take too long!

Chicago Il.
Level Contributor
290 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Valentin Falls to #15--Do they even CARE??

Playatime,

Why are you even going if that's the attitude you're going to have before you even get there ? Why don't you switch resorts? We live in the same area as you do and the prices out of OHare for the Valentin were far cheaper then Excellence, Secrets or the RPD when we went last month. Apple or Funjet doesn't rate the Valentin as high as those other resorts so I don't think it's fair to compare the Valentin to them. I hope you find a way to enjoy your trip.

Mike

Sioux Center, IA
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Valentin Falls to #15--Do they even CARE??

I totally agree with you Playatime!! I can't believe people complain about a few missing tiles!! We had such a great time there, of course we had a few minor issues--no bath towels the 1st night, so I used one of the terry cloth robes for my towel. We both laughed about that, since we only had the other one for the rest of the trip.But one call and we had more than enough towels for the rest of the week. We have never been on the PERFECT vacation with out a few glitches, but it had never spoiled our vacation.We our not HIGH maintenance people, but have enjoyed any vacation we have been on--take the good with the bad--makes for some good vacation stories!! Some people just live to complain--get a life and you might enjoy it!!