We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Civil Unrest, Travel Advisories

Ohio
Level Contributor
134 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Civil Unrest, Travel Advisories

Hey All, Is anyone concerned about the drug wars going on in Mexico related to their travel in Cancun/Riviera Maya? I know it's MAINLY along the Mexican/US border but that retired Mexican General just was killed in Cancun (see link below). I've called the booking agent and our travel insurance provider and they don't seem concerned, but wanted to get opinions. I'm not looking to have our family be the first statistic for American travelers that are kidnapped or whacked.

Thoughts...

google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5g9VZ…

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,758 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Civil Unrest, Travel Advisories

This has been discussed several times in the Cancun forum. I suggest scrolling through that forum for reassurance. If you have already paid for your trip and will lose it if you cancel, I will be happy to go in your place IF that helps you. :)

CT
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Civil Unrest, Travel Advisories

I am not concerned and we go in about 6 weeks. Crime happens everywhere even in Ohio. (and I'm originally from the Buckeye State.)

Have a wonderful vacation. Which resort did you choose?

United States
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Civil Unrest, Travel Advisories

I found it interesting that there are travel advisorys for the U.S. posted on the U.K. gov't travel site.

fco.gov.uk/en/…united-states

There is a risk for trouble no matter where you go. Mexico is not an idyllic, crime-free paradise and common sense must prevail no matter where you travel too.

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,748 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Civil Unrest, Travel Advisories

Lungfruit makes a good point, there: you get the most balanced view of those travel advisories or other such warnings (right down to what your neighbor might say when s/he finds out you're coming to Playa) by not removing them from their context and considering for example what people in other countries say about your own, or just what happens in your own country.

For example, I imagine that those considering a trip to the US may well have been alarmed by the shooting of 5-6 people (including an infant!) at Mardi Gras in New Orleans the other day. And they'll be even more alarmed if they (as unfortunately many people seem to be doing with recent reports out of Mexico) fail to distinguish the geographic distances between what they read about and where they're going; or just think "it happened in America" and assume it's all the same wherever you go, you know. Probably many Americans would think it was silly to worry very much about travel to America, the land (in the popular imagery many others have of us) of guns and gangsters and police shootouts and car chases and potential terrorist attacks, for such reasons, because we understand that these things are not happening everywhere, every day, and we can lead normal, happy lives without excessive worry about them, and tourists can come and join in on that for their time with us without excessive fear, too. But they may nevertheless be some of those taking the excessive worry approach to the situation here, now.

Steve

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Civil Unrest, Travel Advisories

I lived in the UK for most of my life and many people were afraid to go to the U.S. because of the endemic violence there. I thought your comment "I'm not looking to have our family be the first statistic for American travelers that are kidnapped or whacked" was amusing - would you feel safer if you went somewhere where you'd be the 1,000th statistic?! :))

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,748 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Civil Unrest, Travel Advisories

Didn't know that about you, SteveMex. :-)

I can echo those same comments only in the context of Japan, after spending a few years living there.

Steve

Ohio
Level Contributor
134 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Civil Unrest, Travel Advisories

Go in my place! That is reassuring but probably going to have to just suck it up this time and enjoy my vacation. I may need someone to take care of my dog for the week though. Are you for that? He's a REAL peach!

Ohio
Level Contributor
134 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Civil Unrest, Travel Advisories

Hi SilverStarfish. We are staying at Sandos and I think I've seen you on that thread so believe you are too. Am I correct? We are going 4/26 - 5/2. How about you?

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,758 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Civil Unrest, Travel Advisories

Claudia, don't be surprised if you miss your pup. I always hate having to put mine in a kennel.

Ohio
Level Contributor
134 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Civil Unrest, Travel Advisories

Yes, I absolutely would rather be the 1,000th statistic. I'm not much of a trendsetter. ha ha. Glad you got a chuckle from my comment. I make myself laugh on at least a daily basis. If you can't laugh at yourself....then drink the kool aid. :)