We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Palace Riviera Maya

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
1,350 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Palace Riviera Maya

This will be our first time staying at a Riu resort & Mexico. We were first looking at Riu Palace Pacifico until I noticed it was longer travel time. Just wanted to hear from people who have stayed at this resort & what they think. Any tips, advise, really any info would be great. We normally stay at Sandals resorts.

Thanks

Kentucky
Level Contributor
241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Palace Riviera Maya

The only AI's I;ve been to are SANDALS Royal Bahamian and Riu Palace Riviera Maya. Loved both:) I reviewed them, so you can check that out on my profile contributions.

The trip tp RPRM was with 6 girls age 20-28 for my bachelorette party. We got an amazing deal and were just expecting a cheap getaway with drinks and sunshine.. so our expectations were exceeded. The location is great- walk to the shopping center in Playacar and walking distance to 5th avenue

The drinks were always good.. sometimes too good.. I am not a drinker much anymore, so I wanted to pace myself.. I ordered a margarita and the server said,"with 2 tequila?" I told him, "no, 1 tequila". He said," No, 2 tequila.. high five!" it cracked me up! The staff was wonderful

The difference is that there are kids around.. they never bothered us, but that is a bonus with Sandals.

We had a basic room, and no complaints about that. The grounds are impeccably clean, I thought the beach was fine.. I don't like to get in it that much, but you can see in some of the photos in my review the beautiful water.Yes, there are sandbags... but it was fine for us.

All in all, we had a great time, and I would certainly go back!

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,811 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Palace Riviera Maya

RPRM is a great resort, closer to town by about 10 minute walk than the other Rius. Be sure to wander down through the others and check them out. IMHO the beach at the Riu Palace Mexico is the best of all of the Rius but the RPRM has fantastic pools.

Great food, drinks and service. You won't have the view of the water that the Pacifico would have given you but the resorts south of Cancun are restricted to around 3 floors and the Rius in PDC generally emphasize the vegetation scene. The two palaces in particular have beautiful fountains running the length of the resort.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
1,350 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Palace Riviera Maya

Bergadon25 Thanks for replying. I read your review & noticed you stayed in May. That is the month we are looking to stay as well. How is the weather this time of year, also are there many children & did you find making reservations a problem? I've read a lot of review's & it seems people bring this up a lot, also not finding loungers by the pool & beach.

Anyone else have comments on this resort?

Thanks!

Kentucky
Level Contributor
241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Palace Riviera Maya

Dawn- the weather was fabulous! I don't remember a cloud in sight *sigh*...there were quite a few children, but none that were misbehaving... unlike a cruise we took before where children ran crazy everywhere... we didn't have a problem making reservations, but with a group of 20-28 year old female hairdressers- it was impossible to get everyone together at a specific time, so after 2 times of making reservations, then cancelling them, we decided to eat at the buffet nightly- food changed nightly, was good enough for us and we could start out as 2 and everyone would join us eventually- we would just sit outside and have drinks and laugh... much more fun than a reservation/dinner, so I can't say whether or not the reservation-only restaurants were any good or not:)

loungers: hit or miss.. I have a pet peeve about ppl that reserve loungers only to have a place to set their stuff and never come back for their things.. it wasn't always hard to find loungers, but to find 4-6 together after noon was near impossible. We never went out early to "save" seats, which maybe we should have... but I think we moved some loungers around and/or swiped one or 2 that didn't appear to be in use... oops:)

you'll love it there.. we all did

MA
Level Contributor
501 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Palace Riviera Maya

We've been to a bunch of all inclusives incluing brands: Sandals(most of them), Breezes resorts, Grand Lido's, Iberostars, Riu's....

Including staying at Sandals Bahamas, & Riu Palace Riviera Maya. For us, the main difference was Sandals was couples only, however we found the food & service options better at Riu P. Riviera Maya. It bothers me at alot of the Sandals you have to book concierge to get a refrigerator. We did find the Riviera Maya a little more upscale than Riu Palace Mexico and it was also closer to 5th ave, etc.

I've foun for us flights are shorter and offer alot more non stops into Cancun. Also, we prefer the beach in Riviera Maya area compared to the Pacific side.

Michigan
Level Contributor
513 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Palace Riviera Maya

Dawn,

We just returned from RPRM on Feb 7th and loved everything about it! We have also stayed at the RPM (5 years ago) and loved that as well! You can't go wrong with a Riu property (IMHO).

The food, service, rooms, pool, etc. were great. The beach has alot of shade and sun depending on what you are looking for. The pool is beautiful and did get filled up, but we were happy at the beach.

Our favorite thing to do was have a cocktail before dinner in the piano bar...so relaxing. And cocktails after dinner in the plaza listening to the band.

Oh, I wish I were there!!

The Villages...
Level Contributor
258 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Palace Riviera Maya

We stayed at the RPRM in January, 2008 and just loved the resort. Our room was on the second floor overlooking the center garden and pools. Beautiful view and the pool area is supurb. The food was also very good in all the restaurants we tried. If you like to play golf you only have to walk across the streed from the resort to the golf course---and is a very nice golf course. The RPRM is one of the nicest all-inclusive resorts we have stayed in. We are going back this May but are using our timeshare this time at the Viva Maya a few doors down.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
1,350 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu Palace Riviera Maya

Thanks everyone for replying. The resort sounds wonderful. The few little things I've read was the pool being cold, 7:00 am towel game for chairs by the pool & waiting in line to make reservations for the restaurants....& then hearing you can't even get into the really nice one. Did any of you experience this?

Thanks again,

Dawn

Michigan
Level Contributor
513 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu Palace Riviera Maya

RE: waiting in line to get reservations....we waited in line (not terribly long with a cocktail in hand and friendly people to chat with) and always got the restaurants, time and day we wanted.

No problemo!

The Villages...
Level Contributor
258 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riu Palace Riviera Maya

I don't remember waiting in line for reservations. What I do remember is dancing to a great band that was playing in the gazebo outside in the courtyard and drinking champagne that they brought around.

As far as sunning on the beach you might want to get up early and put your towel and a book on the lounge chair to reserve it. They say don't do it but everyone else does so you might as well joing them.

We were there in January and I don't remember the pool being too cold. But then again we used the swim up bar all the time and with all the drinks it would not have made any difference to us.

Enjoy your vacation.