We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quetzal/Tucan or Lindo/Maya??

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Quetzal/Tucan or Lindo/Maya??

Which Iberostar would you choose? I know there is a difference in pricing. We are traveling with young children 2 1/2 and 4.

What really is the difference in them?

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quetzal/Tucan or Lindo/Maya??

The Quetzal/Tucan are located on the Plalacar beach and Lindo/Maya are located on Paraiso beach (along with 3 other Iberostars Beach/Del Mar that are lower in the stars rating and equal to Quetzal/Tucan and Grand that is higher in stars rating). The beach is better at Lindo/Maya - there is no erosion in the Playa Paraiso area and Quetzal/Tucan beach is not good now - go to Lindo/Maya if you are going to use the beach and swim into the sea and can afford it (swimming in the sea rich in the iodine, not in the chlorinated pool is the most beneficial part of the vacation for your health...). Lindo/Maya is one step up in the stars rating (and services and food) comp. to the Quetzal/Tucan which are the same level as Beach/Del Mar.

CT
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quetzal/Tucan or Lindo/Maya??

We have been to the Iberostar Lindo and the Sandos Playacar (right beside the IB Tucan) We loved the IB Lindo, it is a photographer's dream...it is so gorgeous. We also loved the ala carte restaurants, very good food. I think the major differences between the Tucan and Lindo is size. The Lindo is on a large property (4 resorts and 1 adults only resort)that shares one beach. The beach is very nice but the resort is set back from the ocean so only the adults only resort has ocean views (and a few rooms at the Del Mar) The pools are HUGE and lovely and there are many types of pools, i.e. sports pool, wave pool, plus a lazy river and teen disco. The things we didn't like about the resort was the size and the amount of teenagers. Our son is a preteen. We didn't mind the amount of walking because the resort is gorgeous but we missed being right on the beach.

So my recommendation based on the ages of your children is to choose the IB Tucan or the Sandos Playacar. We stay in the beach section of the Sandos Playacar and love the ocean views from the pool, restaurant and room. There is a new section at Sandos called the Riviera which has larger newer rooms but they are the furthest from the beach so my recommendation is based on our last stay prior to the new Riviera section. The Sandos Playacar is more affordable than the IBs but it is not an upscale resort just a very nice family oriented resort. Really depends on your priorites. Another difference between the IB Tucan and the Sandos property is that the IB Tucan is "jungly" where the Sandos property is more open. I personally like the open feeling especially as a mom keeping track of little ones.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Quetzal/Tucan or Lindo/Maya??

Silverstarfish - what do you think of the actual beach at the IB Tucan and the Sandos Playacar?

CT
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quetzal/Tucan or Lindo/Maya??

Our trip is in April so send me a PM towards mid April and I will give you a full account.

I have been reading the reviews lately and it still sounds great. One of the things I like is that Sandos Playacar is the last resort on the strip so to the south you can walk for quite awhile on an undeveloped beach. We are big beach people so the beach is a top priority.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,574 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quetzal/Tucan or Lindo/Maya??

From what I've read recently there is still quite a drop off on the beach at the Tucan/Quetzal and I know the "whales" are still there.

6. Re: Quetzal/Tucan or Lindo/Maya??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 10:18