We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pro's and Cons...

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Pro's and Cons...

Me and my boyfriend are planning a trip in May, our first time anywhere..I was looking at the Viva wyndham maya or the Viva Azteca, they are both a good deal. What are the pro's and cons for each resort?

PA
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pro's and Cons...

I have stayed at both and enjoyed both of them. We paid less for our two trips to those resorts then we did to stay one time at another resort. The pros: Definitely cost, they are both very reasonable. Both have decent beaches. The Maya has a swim up bar, the Azteca does not. (we could care less about that, we aren't pool people) THe Azteca had a 24 hours snack bar, the Maya did not. The Azteca's rooms were nicer then the Mayas. The Azteca was a bit smaller. I liked the Azteca better. It seemed to be less kids than the Maya. Any questions, feel free to e-mail me. The gym at the Azteca was a little better too.

Liberty Lake...
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pro's and Cons...

Having just returned from the Azteca and spending sometime at the Maya, we were very glad of our choice of the Azteca. That being said it depends on your tastes and what you are looking for. The Maya is larger so more people, and seems to have a bit more action. Beaches are fairly similiar but Azteca seemed less crowded. Main dining room/buffet was nicer at the Azteca..less of a cafeteria setup. We also liked that it was a bit for daily evening walks into Playa Del Carmen. Let me know if there is anything specific. =]

Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pro's and Cons...

thanks! I'm leaning more towards the Azteca, we are in our late 20's, we would like to have fun, but also be able to have some down time..I don't want to be around kids the whole time, and i heard that the Maya has alot of kids! Do you know if the Azteca can do upgrades? we would like a bigger balcony and oceanview room...my only concern is that the Azteca might be too boring...

PA
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pro's and Cons...

Ohhh I did forget to mention that the Azteca's balconies are non-existent, where the balcony/patio at the Maya has chairs and a table. There were some buildings/rooms with bigger balconies at the Azteca. You could e-mail them and request one. I don't think you will be bored at the Azteca. I actually think the Aztecas lobby bar was more happening then the Mayas. After the evening show the 24 hour snack bar was the place to hang out. Lots of people out to all hours.

Liberty Lake...
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pro's and Cons...

I can only speak of our room. It was 1104...ground level closest to the beach. We had a large king, little kitchen area with micro, shelves, fridge and sink. We had to walkout patios, the standard size facing the pool and then a maybe 10' X 10' one on the beach side...we were the last room before the beach started granted there was a 4 foot high hedge between us and a clear ocean view. As for getting bored...Maya is really only a 5 minute walk or Playa Del Carmen about 15+ minute for all night entertainment.

CT
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pro's and Cons...

Which resort has the trapeze?

Liberty Lake...
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pro's and Cons...

Maya =]

Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Pro's and Cons...

thanks for all the insight. I think the Azteca it is! Does anyone know the email address? I would love to send them an email requesting a room..any other advice before we go? we both have never been to mexico..thanks everybody :-)

Liberty Lake...
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pro's and Cons...

guestserviceazteca@vivaresorts.com

copied from a previous poster:

cfernandez@vivaresorts.com (This is for Claudia Fernandez. She is the Reservation Manager for both the Azteca and the Maya. Just make sure you state that you'll be at the Azteca and provide her your reservation # along with your names.

Other advice...have a good time =]

I wrote a long review but it takes 24-48 hours post..it might provide you with more info.

Liberty Lake...
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pro's and Cons...

Looks like they posted my review....enjoy =]