We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does anyone travel to an AI alone?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Topic
Does anyone travel to an AI alone?

I'm planning a trip to PDC later this year. As of now, I will be traveling alone. I want to stay at an AI. I am looking at The Royal. I understand this is not a singles hangout. I am not looking for that- just a relaxing vacation. Does anyone else travel to AI's alone? I have read all about safety in PDC. My concern is being a female by herself traveling to excursions (Tulum and Cozumel) and into PDC at night alone. Do I have anything to worry about? Thanks!

CT
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does anyone travel to an AI alone?

I would definately stay at an all inclusive, visit Tulum and Cozumel on my own. I wouldn't go into town by myself at night. You may have other posters that say they would so it is a personal thing. We are visiting PDC for the fourth time next month. We have gone into town twice at night but I just wouldn't feel comfortable by myself as a female (and I'm the independent type.)

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does anyone travel to an AI alone?

I have not traveled alone to PDC but having just returned from Playacar Palace I would do it!

The resort is a very comfortable two minute walk to 5th ave, I toured most of 5 th ave alone as my husband and son sat a bar and listened to the band as I wandered

And the tours thru the resort are very safe and comfortable

The airport transportation thru the hotel was also very comfortable

I would do it in a heartbeat!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,215 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does anyone travel to an AI alone?

I'm a little confused. You seem set on an All Inclusive, but seem to be asking for confirmation? Is your only consideration for not doing all inclusive the safety aspect?

As a single woman not necessarily looking to hookup, I still would stay in a small hotel in town rather than an all inclusive. Yes, you'll meet nice couples and there could be a random single woman or guy there to hang out with, but you'll be surrounded by families, couples, etc. At a small hotel in town, you'll be a lot more likely to meet other single people to do stuff with.

If you're a huge drinker, eater or make use of the typical AI activities, it could be worthwhile. Otherwise, its much more economical for a single person to avoid the all inclusives and their single supplements.

You're very safe walking around Playa at night. Because its so busy, there are people on the streets night and day.

New York
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Does anyone travel to an AI alone?

I would HIGHLY recommend NOT staying at an AI, whether traveling alone or not. The Mayan Riviera is so easy, so safe and has way too many options for you to be trapped in one hotel. For a woman traveling alone, I recommend staying at Ana y Jose on Tulum beach. If you're looking to relax, Tulum is the place. The beach is far superior to Playa del Carmen's - powdery soft white sand, clear water with little reef or rock, almost no annoying vendors. Totally safe, not crowded and filled with pretty relaxed, cool people. I personally love the Ana y Jose hotel but there are many, many options ranging to no-frills eco lodges to a few higher end hotels. There are great restaurants at most of the higher end hotels. Food at Ana y Jose is incredible, apparently Rachel Ray goes there and raves about the menu. I also loved the food (and drinks!) at Om. If you feel extra adventurous, take a cab into Tulum town for more dinner choices. (I rent a car from Cancun airport and drive down to Tulum, about 90 minutes on straight highway).

I just got back on Monday, and can report there were no kidnappings or crimes. I've been to the area many times and never felt scared or uncomfortable.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Does anyone travel to an AI alone?

Thanks for the info. Are there any nice hotels in PDC that you recommend?

Southern Illinois
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does anyone travel to an AI alone?

Remember too that the rates are quoted 'based on double occupancy'. A single rate would be much higher.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,215 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does anyone travel to an AI alone?

I've only stayed at the Blue Parrot 100 years ago - and Pelicano. If I was staying in Playa for more than a night before the airport, I'd probably look at Playa Maya.

My hairstylist loves Deseo, but she's a boutique hotel snob.

Tomorrow, I will be at Cabanas las Conchitas in Tulum - it looked great and the price was right compared to similar places. The only thing, its on a cove, not a long stretch of beach, so you'd have to walk out to the road to get to a longer beach if you like to walk. I like the hotel in the cove because day trippers are less likely to invade and grab all the chairs.

The Tulum beaches are far superior to Playa.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,215 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does anyone travel to an AI alone?

Yucatanman- not sure if you mean a regular hotel, or an all inclusive, but a regular hotel doesnt have a single supplement. There's a price for the room - and either one person has that room - or 2 split it and the price. In an all inclusive, a single person is basically paying for 2 people to eat, drink and make use of activities. And, all inclusives are frankly horrible for singles.

Some hotels in Mexico actually do have lower rates for single guests, but unlike hotels in Europe, you're in the same size room as the double - not some nun-cell the width of an army cot.

Aside from anything else: I just happened to see "Sarah Marshall" last night, and if anyone knows it - the scene at dinner at the Hawaiian hotel rings true. "One? You're alone? Why? Dont you have a family?"

Birmingham
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Does anyone travel to an AI alone?

Thanks again evening. I definitely want to stay in Playa, but I may venture out to Tulum for more than a day. Tulum is a must-see for me. Enjoy your trip!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
1,582 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Does anyone travel to an AI alone?

Whether to stay at an AI or not is something you alone have to decide. I myself think that there are so many good restaurants and bars that a non AI is certainly worth thinking about. The Royal is a great resort and right in town, where as a single person would be a great choice. I just returned from a month in Playa, a lot of that time I spent alone (female). I stayed in a condo, in a residential neighbourhood and I walked everywhere, even at night, alone. (Latest around midnight). I also took the ADO bus to and from Cancun, went to Akumal, etc. all on my own with absolutely no problems or worries. Don't let people or the news scare you, you are safe as long as you are smart and don't make yourself a victim or attract attention to yourself carrying around valuables or wearing expensive jewellery. Some of the posters here say not to walk alone but I go every year for a month at a time and go everywhere and have never ever had any problems.