We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sun Rituals!

Toronto
Level Contributor
186 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Sun Rituals!

I'd love to hear some of the sun rituals out there!! What SPF do you start with and what do you use on the last day? How do you prevent looking like a lobster? What are the best remedies for a burn? Last year I roasted on the first two days and paid for it the entire week. Surprisingly, the body part that burnt the worst was the tops of my feet!! Alberto - one of the guys on the entertainment team at The Royal recommended a lotion called Batab - I swear it is a miracle cure. Highly recommend it if you do burn - takes the pain out overnight - doesn't help much with the redness but you'll survive the week for sure. You can find it anywhere on 5th Ave.

What are you favorite types of high SPF lotion that still helps get a nice brown tan? 5 days to go and this is all I can think about. :)

Grosse Ile, Michigan
Level Contributor
894 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sun Rituals!

Not to sound rude, but maybe you ought to get to a tanning salon...fast.

I usually have a good base before I go and then I use 15 SPF for the first few days and 8 after that.

Good luck and have fun

duluth,mn
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sun Rituals!

try sunbed tanning before you go on vacation.many will say this is dangerous,but i believe a bad sunburn is much worse.you cant get a deep dark tan in a couple of days.if you have light colored skin you need to take more precautions.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sun Rituals!

i definately agree......i dont dare go to mexico without going to the tanning salon first......even if you can get in there a few times will help a lot.....

Bristol, New...
Level Contributor
599 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sun Rituals!

I start indoor tanning about 3 weeks before I leave- I am fair skinned, do not tan well and If I don't tan first I burn easier- Once I get to the beach I use spf 30 and sometimes switch to spf 15 midweek. For my 4 yr old I bring surf shirts and he wears a hat so he comes back looking like he never went on vacation at all- LOL!! My husband normally doesn't wear his sunscreen the first two days, burns, then complains about it- A bad burn can definitely put a damper on an otherwise fantastic vacation so I try to be careful!!!

Plymouth, Michigan
Level Contributor
292 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sun Rituals!

I have never been to a tanning salon. I start with 15, but I limit the time I'm in the sun to about an hour to 1 1/2. Then sit under the canopy at the swim up bar or whatever. If it's going to be longer than that, use 30. Sunburns can do more than put a damper on a vacation.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
104 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sun Rituals!

I tan indoors every year to get my "base tan" for the summer. Still, every year, I have some unexpected places that roast in the sun. I think I am always over confident that I do not need sunscreen. This confidence comes from the EVIL INDOOR BASE TAN!!! I soak my kids & husband in sunscreen. But, I don't need it because I have been "tanning" for 2 months. I get no sympathy from my family. They warn me every time. My husband tans indoors to get color & then just wears sunscreen on vacation. He never gets burned!!!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sun Rituals!

Our first time to MExico 2 yrs ago, we pretanned for about 8 sessions (3 weeks). We are olive complexion. Started with SPF 30. Well, day 1 we were so happy to be out of the cold that we were in the pool/sun for about 7 hours and never felt really hot because the pools are unheated and there was a beautful breeze in the afternoon. When we went back to our room,showered and had a predinner (late) siesta and woke up, OMG!!!

We were lobsters (and we don't usually burn). The tops of my feet and our hairline (from being in the pool with hair slicked back from swimming) were something out of a horror show. I think we both lost two layers of skin. Also, our lips were burned. We immediately got SPF 60 and used that for three days before we moved to SPF 30 for two more and then lowered to SPF 15.

We went through a bottle of aloe vera and another of gold bond lotion.

Last night, I picked up SPF 60 (for our first three days); we will coat the bejesus of our faces, tops of our feet and chest. We bought lip balm with SPF 30, and then regular lotion for the remaining three days at SPF 15. We have had six tan sessions with todays maxing out at 15 mins.

We are bringing a large bottle of lotion; we found the shower water at the resort dries out your skin even worse.

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sun Rituals!

I pre-tan about 10 times. I wear an SPF of 15 but use a 30 on the tops of my feet, my ears and my nose. I also use a 30 SPF on my lips. We go for 2 weeks and sometimes on the last few days I'll use an 8. Either way I get a great tan and don't burn. Also, I apply the sunscreen before I leave the room, and then a few more times during the day.

There have been years that I did not pre-tan and used the same ritual as above with no burning at all. Just don't be foolish enough to go without using an SPF.

Niki

Bristol, New...
Level Contributor
599 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sun Rituals!

One spot I always burn, no matter what I do is my scalp-I live in the water (either pool or ocean) and nothing seems to work- I can't stand hats and wouldn't wear one in the water- Any tips would be appreciated on a sunscreen you can spray on your hair/scalp that won't get all "goopy" in your hair- Thanks- Tina

Toronto
Level Contributor
186 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sun Rituals!

I have been pre-tanning at a salon for the past few weeks so that's covered. Will probably start out using 45 and gradually move down from there a bit each day. My bf had the same issue with his scalp - went to Sephora and they recommended a spray sun product with an SPF of 30. It's not particularly for the scalp but it's oil-free and they said people use it all the time. Hopefully it will work!! :)