We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on AI restaurant "etiquette"

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on AI restaurant "etiquette"

Will be visiting ASP and GV next week and we were planning our evening activities for some nights. We have only been to one other AI and were wondering if you seasoned AI travelers could help.

What is proper "AI" restaurant etiquette in regards to the following situation:

If you dine at an a la carte early (for us 5 pm) and then want to head out for shopping, etc, is it OK to revisit another restaurant that evening to have another desert or appetizer? What if you really did not like the food and hardly ate, can you visit another restaurant right after? We figure, for an AI, if we really end up disliking the food,and hardly eating anything, why can't we. However, we don't want to be presumptuous or wasteful.

What do you think?

Rochester NY
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on AI restaurant "etiquette"

Dear Itryalot:

Having stayed at several all-inclusives I feel it would be fine if you ate early and then ate some more later in the evening at the buffet restaurant. Most always, the a la carte restaurants take reservations and they fill up very quickly so I don't think you could go back to an a la carte for a revisit. But, the buffet style restaurants in the AI's have very large dessert tables, coffee, and of course lots of other choices for foods and they won't mind if you go there.

We once were at The Barcelo Maya and didn't care for the food at the Spanish a la carte, so our group left after not eating much and ate at the buffet. Always a large selection and always something you will like.

Have fun.

Advance, North...
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on AI restaurant "etiquette"

It's perfectly fine at ASP. There really is no record of where you ate or how many times. When we were AI at the Omni we had to sign our check because not everyone at that resort is AI. At ASP because everyone is AI so the only record they have is IF the hostess asks for your room number but they don't always do that and besides they don't care. I have a post on here about our last night we always hit all our favorites: MoMoNoHana for spring rolls, La Trattoria for soup, different places for entree and back to MoMoNoHanas for fried ice cream for dessert.

One note for your planning, they don't start serving dinner at ASP until 6:00. I sometimes order yummy cream of asparagus soup from room service and we have that while dressing for dinner.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
4,177 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on AI restaurant "etiquette"

Do not pick your nose in the restaurant. Not cool. LIG ITS.

Embarrass, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,763 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on AI restaurant "etiquette"

Do they serve knockers at the Princess?

Punta Gorda, Florida
Level Contributor
2,633 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on AI restaurant "etiquette"

When we were at the other Grand Velas property, we would often have an appetizer at one and an entree at another. It is all-inclusive and the servers certainly could care less. With what the resort charges, you might as well get your money's worth. I did not visit any buffet while I was at the other resort in Neuvo Vallarta so I cannot speak to that. I never had a bad meal there, but found I liked certain places for certain courses.

6. Re: Advice on AI restaurant "etiquette"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 14:32