We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valentin - 2 questions

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
12 posts
Save Topic
Valentin - 2 questions

I will be a the Valentin Imperial Maya tomorrow and we will be staying in a Golden Jr Suite. I just read some reviews where people received free updgrades without even asking. This will probably sound dumb, but is an upgraded room at the Valentin actually better? I thought I read that the Ocean-front rooms were actually smaller, and that you don't really see much of the ocean due to the folliage. What makes the ocean-front rooms better than the golden rooms?

I also have a silly question about tipping. I know here in the US we would leave the tip on the table of the restaurant after our meal. Is it the same at this resort/in Mexico? OR do we hand it directly to the server?

st louis
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Valentin - 2 questions

Your Golden Suite is better than the Ocean front.Ask for bldg 6 3rd floor you can see the ocean from there. I put my tip on the table

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Valentin - 2 questions

The ocean front rooms have some awesome hot tubs in them, but the Goldens are also nice. They have a great view if you are on the top floor. Don't sweat it. If they offered you an upgrade, you could ask to see it. Either way you will love the Valentin.

We always leave tips on the table. Have a great time!!

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
767 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Valentin - 2 questions

The goldems are in my opinion already a better option. You chose wisely, do as the previous poster suggested. Ocean Front buildings 11-a4 might be considered. We were in Building 8 and it was grear (close to the Golden bar. Tipping: leave maid tip on pillow in AM and smaller in PM (different maid-less work), leave $1 on minibar fridge for the water/beer guy (maids won't take it), leave buffet tip in table since the only real service is from the busboy, give dinner tip directly to the principal waiter after you are finished so he can apportion to his assistants. Leave you main tip for the bellman to the very end, there are about 3 bellman that like to handle your bags and transport them between each other (10 feet), but the main bellman driving you to the room will give you a "guided tour" and set room up etc..

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
767 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Valentin - 2 questions

Sorry..that is Golden and Ocean Front 11-14.

Level Contributor
389 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Valentin - 2 questions

Do you only tip at the ala carte meals? How much is standard?

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
767 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Valentin - 2 questions

I personally tip at both the breakfast and lunch buffets as well. It depends on whether the busboy refills your coffee or brings you a drink or does something a little extra. Anywhere between $1 and $2 if you wish. Just asking about coffee or tea or taking a breakfast order at Tierra,in my opinion does not really warrant a tip. If the waiter and busboys ignore you (it does happen) well just ignore them as well. I tipped one busboy $2 and he followed me everywhere I went and asked to refill my coffee, I was not at his table but had asked him for some coffee. He did not leave me without a refill until I said "non gratias". Now that is "extra" service. He remembered everyday thereafter.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Valentin - 2 questions

Our Oceanfront room was on the top floor and had a perfect view of the ocean. It was awesome. I loved having room service breakfast on the patio. And the jacuzzi- real jacuzzi, not spa, was incredible!

8. Re: Valentin - 2 questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 05:25