We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

comparison: IBero Tucan, Viva Wyndham Azteca, Sandos Playa B

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago Illinois
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
comparison: IBero Tucan, Viva Wyndham Azteca, Sandos Playa B

I am trying to choose between the Iberostar Tucan, Viva Wyndham Azteca and Sandos Playacar Beach for myself (mom) and preteen daughter. Looking for activity but also would love some low key relaxing on the beach even if my daughter is busy, and would like good evening entertainment. Anyone been to more than one of these? I could afford to stay longer at the least expensive.....

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: comparison: IBero Tucan, Viva Wyndham Azteca, Sandos Playa B

I did not stay at any of these hotels but to speak about the beach you do not need to stay there - just walk along the beach past all hotels and take their pictures of the the beach in the Playacar area where are all 3 resorts that you name are located - the beach is damaged by the erosion and blocked by the sand bags (they are called whales).

This is the beach in front of Sandos Playacar in Feb, 2009.

http://i39.tinypic.com/148ixaa.gif

This is the beach in front of Viva Wyndham Maya in Playacar in Jan, 2009

http://tinyurl.com/bg35g5

I do not have any current pictures of the Iberostar beach but for the swimming is is the worst of these 3 as the sand bags are put very close to the shore line.

You can still stay there and have a fun and swim and there are no rocks at any of these hotels beaches, just be prepare and plan accordingly - for example there is no point to pay extra for the supposedly best in the Playacar area Sandos beach as it looks very different from what it was until the middle of December 2008 when it started to get washed away by the sea - now it is very narrow and overcrowded. We stayed at Viva Wyndham Maya and although the accommodation and food were mediocre, their teens activities are excellent, read my review.

From the point of the food and entertainment Iberostar will probably the best of 3 (as the chain in general is and its rating is firm 4 stars and the other two are 3.5 for Sandos and 3 for Viva) and it probably reflected in the cost. Viva Wyndham resorts have a bonus for teens - they charge kids prices until 18.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: comparison: IBero Tucan, Viva Wyndham Azteca, Sandos Playa B

I have stayed at the Viva Azteca 3 times and it is a fab hotel. I would say the part of the beach in front of the Azteca is one of the best parts along Playacar. The entertainment staff reall make an effort at the hotel and are great with kids.

If you have more questions about the Azteca drop me a message and I will get back to you.

My Mum stayed at the Sandos Playacar and had a fab time, but I can't give much info re that hotel because I didn't go.

Playacar is a fab place and I am sure whichever hotel you choose to go to will be great x

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: comparison: IBero Tucan, Viva Wyndham Azteca, Sandos Playa B

Also, the bonus of the Azteca is it's sister hotel the Viva Maya is a 5 minute walk away and you can use all of their facilities as well which gives you a choice of 6 a la carte restaurants to choose from. The Iberostar Tucan also has a sister hotel the Quetzel next door and I presume you can use their facilities as well but I am not sure.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: comparison: IBero Tucan, Viva Wyndham Azteca, Sandos Playa B

we have stayed at sandos three times and returning again this year.. with our 15 and 10 yr olds..... we keep returning because our kids love it there...... and as far as the beach goes.... sandos owns the undeveloped property south,and there are no sand whales.....its absolutely breathtaking....

CT
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: comparison: IBero Tucan, Viva Wyndham Azteca, Sandos Playa B

I agree with Swifty, we are returning to Sandos Playacar for our 3rd family vacation. My son loves it there especially the beach, beach soccer and tennis. It is very affordable. The IB Tucan/Quetzel is right beside it and my friend returns there multiple times too. The Tucan is more "jungly" ... I like the Sandos because it is spacious and open. I've heard good things about the Viva W Azteca too so I don't think you can go wrong with either one. I especially like that the Sandos property is the last resort on the strip with the undeveloped beach to the south. I'd go for the one you can stay at the longest because vacation time goes so quickly and you will be creating lasting family memories for your daughter. My son still talks about climbing a coconut tree on the beach and touching an iguana's tail. It is the simple things that kids remember. Let me know which one you choose. You can also read my trip reviews if you click on my name to the left. Send me a PM if you have specific questions.

Edmonton Alberta
Level Contributor
698 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: comparison: IBero Tucan, Viva Wyndham Azteca, Sandos Playa B

Strongly suggest Sandos Playacar. We have stayed at Iberostar, and Wyndham Maya, but not Azteca, although we did go to an A LA Carte there. Sandos wins hands down. Have been there 4 times,(last time was Feb 19-24 of this year) and will be back in November.

new york/new jersey...
Level Contributor
2,706 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: comparison: IBero Tucan, Viva Wyndham Azteca, Sandos Playa B

agree w/luv---been to sandos 4x going again soon-need i say more...and they just about fixed most of the erosion -they own the undeveloped beach as far s as the eye can see and there is no erosion the further s u go...

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: comparison: IBero Tucan, Viva Wyndham Azteca, Sandos Playa B

Sandos had a very nice beach before but then they added the second resort of the same capacity behind of the first one and in the meantime the beach has lost half of its dept and some losses are very recent - it means that twice as many people now have to go to the half sized beach - the density increased 4 fold. There is undeveloped part of the beach further south and it is beautiful but there are no washrooms, water, bars and pools and shade so I do not see how anyone would be able to relax there for a long time although it s a good place to go for a walk and all people from the Playacar area go there for a walk, you do not need to stay at the overcrowded hotel in order to enjoy by that undeveloped beach, it is open for everyone.

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: comparison: IBero Tucan, Viva Wyndham Azteca, Sandos Playa B

I just found these two pictures in the recent (March 2009) Sandos reviews:

http://tinyurl.com/c3oepo

and

http://tinyurl.com/c7k3cg

is this is a beautiful and almost fixed beach?

new york/new jersey...
Level Contributor
2,706 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: comparison: IBero Tucan, Viva Wyndham Azteca, Sandos Playa B

hi olga---if u went in the summertime or during the colder mos up north at the height of the season every resort is crowded...i go in low season and sandos is great-always get a palapa and never had to fight for a lounge chair...been there end of oct into nov, in march (after spring break) and in may...