We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun Airport to Play Del Carmen

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
663 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cancun Airport to Play Del Carmen

Can someone please tell me how long of a ride it is from Cancun airport to Play Del Carmen. Is it organized going through customs. Many places are a NIGHTMARE. Just want to be prepared. First time to Mexico. Thanks

Marsa Alam, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun Airport to Play Del Carmen

The short answer: 45 minutes to 1.5 hours, depending on traffic and if you have to stop at other resorts along the way. Don't worry, grab a cervesa and enjoy the ride.

Customs, depending on time of day and terminal, can be highly efficient OR an organized nightmare. It's Mexico; there are no absolutes.

cheers

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
663 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancun Airport to Play Del Carmen

Maverick, thanks for the quick reply, I guess in the scheme of things my trip begins when I board the plane in Las Vegas heading to Mexico. Landing and clearing customs is just part of the fun journey, if you make it that way. It's the only way I roll, so fun it will be. :-)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
285 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancun Airport to Play Del Carmen

Hop on the ADO bus - $8 to PDC will get you there in 45ish minutes. It's quite painless.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,195 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancun Airport to Play Del Carmen

Its 8 dollars if you pay in dollars--much less if you pay in pesos.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,589 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancun Airport to Play Del Carmen

2 flight arrived at the same time yesterday and it took us about 30 minutes to get through immigration. Took us 30 seconds to get through customs. ADO bus was 50 minutes, and we hit quite a bit of traffic after turning onto Juarez. We could have walked to the bus station in less time.

duluth,mn
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancun Airport to Play Del Carmen

i have been off the plane and out of the airport in 20 min. i arrived on a saturday last month and it took 2 1/2 hours.it depends on how many planes land at the same time.weekends are the slowest. once you get out of the airport its about an hour ride to pdc

CT
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancun Airport to Play Del Carmen

It really depends on the time of year too. We have always visited during February break and it is a zoo. But it is worse for departure, make sure you get there for the recommended 3 hours prior. Bring snacks and water for the line which always just snail crawls along. But again, our three trips to Mexico have always been during February break with a travel day of Friday or Saturday. This year we are going in April on a less traveled day so hopefully it won't be as chaotic.

Since it is your first time, I recommend dressing in layers because the Cancun airport always seems hot to me. I like to pack my flip flops in the carry on and change while in line. Have fun, once you are thru the airport you'll have fun.

p.s. Mexico is usually windy so if you are like me I like to pull my hair up. So don't forget a scrunchie. Just PM me if you have other questions.

8. Re: Cancun Airport to Play Del Carmen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 09:27