We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

will give honest opinion of tucan

england
Level Contributor
228 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
will give honest opinion of tucan

we are a family from the uk who have visited mexico many times, of which we visited the tucan when it first opened and had a fabulous time, last year we stayed at the iberostar paraiso maya and again thought the iberostar chain were spot on, we have been put off by the beach erosion to go back to the tucan in recent years but have decided this year to return to this hotel, i do understand that people have different opinions and requirements for holidays but i always find that overall trip advisor reviews are generally quite accurate and great source of information, we go on tues 24th march for two weeks and i will be letting people know about the beaches etc whilst i am there, also was wondering if any other trip advisor members will be there at this time.

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
716 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: will give honest opinion of tucan

You sound a bit like us!

We went to the Iberostar Tucan twice, befroe the erosion. When we saw what happaned we decided we would be unlikely to return in the future as we are not pool people. However we needed a cheep break this Feb as we had not had the best start to 2009 for a variety of reasons at home/work. We'd intended to go back to the Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus in Bayahibe dominican Republic. But amazingly it was about £300 more each then the Tucan! So we are not idiots and went for the Tucan. I must do a review...... but have been incredibly busy. Firstly the hotel was as wonderful as ever, everything was as fab as previously. The beach was wonderfully restored and we had a great time despite the unseasonally chilly weather, it was only 22 degrees mid afternoon the day we landed. No one can help the weather and anyway it was heeps better then back in the UK where it was sub-zero! 22 degrees sounds ok in comparison to home, but when the sun went behind a cloud, coupled with the fierce wind it was downright cold!! Even the hotel staff complained that they were cold in the day, so you can imagine how chilly the evenings were, most guests walked around then with there travel winter coats on! But as I say that is out of everyones control!

But whether it was the unusual weather, I dont know, but the beach Quetzal and Sandos either side of the Tucan, began to seriously loose large chunks of sand. This was despite the sand bags! Sandos lost a few large palapas, they just toppled off the 5 to 6ft drop that appeared. The Quetzal could only have a single row of sun beds where the the grounds wall meets the beach, then there were a few more feet of sand and then a large drop, perhaps 4 to 5 ft. This happaned during our first week. The Tucan side remained excellent. During our 2nd week the Sandos put in new beach whales/bags and started to pump it back. I dare say both hotels will be or have already corrected the situation.

As for the sand bags, well they are an ugly neccessity I suppose. Loads of people had great fun slippin and sliding on them. A few did get plaster casted limbs as a consequence though! Will we go back........ not sure! Out of choice the beach at the Hacienda at Bayahibe was 100% superior, but Playa in Mexico is infinetly nicer, as is the Tucan hotel and we saved in excess of £600 pounds compared to DR. We needed a beach break and we found the beach whales were very unsightly, but maybe thats because we had been before they were installed so we had an idylic memory of before. I will try and post the pics of the sand if I can but Im not good with such technical stuff, sorry, however do feel free to email me direct as I can send via email. As I say the Tucan is such a fantastic hotel I'm sure they will always resolve any beach problems as quickly as poss. For sure you will have a wonderful holiday next week with our old friend the Tucan, wish we were going again despite the sand whales/bags !

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
716 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: will give honest opinion of tucan

Ok arnieEngalnd, Ive done it. It was easier then I'd feared adding pics to a review! TA says that it will be posted on site within 48 hours, so you might not get to se my pics of the beach before you travel I have put on 2, one of the Sandos beach and 1 of the Quetzal. It was a month ago and I guess mother nature may have dumped the sand back as quickly as she took it? Hva a great time anyway, lucky you!

england
Level Contributor
228 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: will give honest opinion of tucan

will try my best cant wait, will update you when im there

New England
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: will give honest opinion of tucan

Thak you both for your posts. Weloveholidays your comparison with the IBHD was perfect for me ,as that is where we went last year and are headed to to IB Questal last year. I have been very curious ( worried) that the beach will be a major disappointment as we spend tons of time on the beach and in the water. I can't wait to see your pictures. Love TA. Where else could I find an recent report on the beach with a comparison to the exact resort we went to last year. Thanks, thanks, thanks,

Hoping to have more to do in the evenings this year which is why we chose PDC.

CT
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: will give honest opinion of tucan

We head to Sandos Playacar in April and I can't wait to see the beach. Depending upon the TA poster, the beach is either totally gone or fine. We haven't been back to Sandos since 2006 but in 2007 we stayed at the IB Lindo. The beach was very nice there but the resort is just too big for us.The beach and pools were packed with teenagers and it wasn't that enjoyable especially since many were loud and acted like there was no one on earth but themselves. (Actually their parents acted the same so it really wasn't their fault.) Of course we went during school break (with our preteen) so I knew there would be kids, just not soooo many.

Anyways, I'll look for your post Arnie. Have a super trip, I know we both will!!!

england
Level Contributor
228 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: will give honest opinion of tucan

i will keep you updated whilst there, i too visited the ib paraisa maya last year, and thought that it was spot on but we have a soft spot for the tucan, seems a more happening resort and is close to playa del carmen to go out in the evening, roll on tuesday

england
Level Contributor
228 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: will give honest opinion of tucan

quick update from the tucan, we are there at moment although there are about 10 very large sand bags and i mean very large, the overall beach is not that bad however there was a very windy day yesterday which seemed to take a bit of the beach away, where we played the horseshow game is now gone, will update further as there is bad weather forecast for tomoro and monday

8. Re: will give honest opinion of tucan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 06:18