We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chitzen-Itsa

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
967 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Chitzen-Itsa

My husband and I will be travelling with Sunquest and staying at the Occidental Grand Xcaret for the last week of April and first week of May. We would like to do the Chitzen-Itsa tour and I am wondering if there is a particular day that is better to go? We usually book our tours at the resort and use the companys provided there. Does anyone know who Sunquest promotes for this tour. Thanks.

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
496 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chitzen-Itsa

Not sure about that tour, but as an alternative, I would suggest you tour the ruins at Coba. They are much closer, and the site is still be excavated. Very intersting to see the various stages of re-claiming the buildings. As well, the Pyramid at Coba is the largest in Mexico, and you can still climb it, as opposed to the one at Chitzen-Itsa

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,195 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chitzen-Itsa

I second that. To me, the Coba site is a much better choice.

Ontario
Level Contributor
706 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chitzen-Itsa

Although Coba is great, I feel that going to Chitzen-Itza is really worth the long (and I mean long lol)trip. We've been there twice now, probably wouldn't go again unless we were able to see the solstice. But it really is a tiring day.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,442 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chitzen-Itsa

If you want to go with a tour, I'd highly recommend Mitch of Yucatreks - http://www.yucatreks.com/chichenitza.htm

Their tours are small (12 people max), so you might want to consider pre-booking to avoid disappointment.

I've been on Mitch's "Coba" tour; it was great. Prior to that, when James and Anna were running the tours, we did the "Tulum & Beyond" tour - my son is STILL talking about that day, five years later!

Antwerp
Level Contributor
353 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chitzen-Itsa

I just got back from Palya.I did the Chichen Itza/CValladolid tour with Yucatreks on friday. They are great.Small groups and they have lunch at a typical marketplace restaurant downtown Valladolid.( not the large tourist damps)Thay give everything they promise on their websitein cluding sandwiches and drinks during the long but interesting day.I also did Coba/Mayan village with Mayan Encounter booked through Cancun Alltours. It was lovely.Small group-mayan guide-visited a typical mayan village without electricity( no commercial things like ziplines or cano here.)If you go, just tkae some small gifts for the mayan children.School things or toys without batteries.No candy ( the dentist is expensive )They are happy with things children at our home even do not look at.Have fun.

CT
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chitzen-Itsa

I second Coba. We loved our tour with Alltournative Tours (just google them) We did the Mayan Encounter and it was so fun. We chose Coba over Tulum or Chitza Itza because you can climb Coba. It is very cool to look over the jungle when you are at the top.

If I were you I wouldn't go with tours via your resort, I'd book my own. Better prices and smaller groups. Unless you like being on a huge tour bus.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,213 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chitzen-Itsa

We love Chichen Itza. Yes it is a long drive from the Grand but well worth it. I just don't think that you would go wrong by going there. Quite honestly, I think everyday is a busy day espcially since they got the new title of one of the top wonders of the world!

castleford
Level Contributor
104 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chitzen-Itsa

We were there last week for the solstice(SATURDAY)brilliant.

It is well worth a visit,but be warned,having booked the tour at the Plaza just below the Riu Tequila pick up at 8-40 am we picked up in Playa Del Carmen and at another hotel.First stop was a cenote for thirty minutes and a fifteen minute look at a craft shop,then on for lunch and a further craft shop,by this time it was 2-30pm,then onto Chitzen Itza arriving at 3-00pm.It was heaving but we sat near the front for the solstice,just two hours stay, back on the bus for 5pm departure but as usual some twerps did not appear until 5-30,it was 9-oopm when we arrived back at our hotel.

A long day, the cenote was small and the water looked stagnant for a so called underground river,the meal was dissapointing but the two hours at the solstice made up for the twelve hour day.

On reflection there were four of us and i wonder if we would have been better pricing up a taxi to go just to Chizin Itsa and straight back.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chitzen-Itsa

Another vote for Coba. Shaded, less crowds, more relaxed, and you can climb the tallest pyramid in the Yucatan-.....-Nohoch Muul.

10. Re: Chitzen-Itsa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 00:19