We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Headline: "Perception of violence in Mexico a deception"

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,606 posts
Save Topic
Headline: "Perception of violence in Mexico a deception"

Perhaps the media may wake up on this, as that is from the Twin Cities' Star Tribune this morning. Inside, their man Jon Tevlin writes the following in his column "Mexico vacation wasn't so risky at all":

Comedian Dennis Miller didn't want me to be here. Nor did the woman on CNN, who breathlessly exclaimed, "It's scary here."

But there I was last Sunday, sitting in the central plaza of Merida, a striking, sultry city three hours into the Yucatan from Cancun ...

I was meeting John Larson and his family, also from Minnesota ... John, his wife, their daughter and the family dog ... all drove from Minnesota to Merida, where they have rented a house until May...

They watch the news and get calls from concerned family and friends, but they also see the disconnect between a very real and dangerous drug war that killed 6,000 last year, and daily life for most Mexicans and tourists.

"I realize my job is not to educate everybody in the world that Mexico is not a police state," Larson said. "But the whole country is being portrayed as this horrible place, and I just don't buy it."

Perhaps Larson didn't see Miller (who I usually think is funny) on Fox. Miller said he would never allow his kids to go to Mexico "because you get the runs from the water; I mean, it's a simple fact." Miller added that, "I don't trust Mexico any more because of the Guadalajara -- the drug war at the border."

Because he's dared venture outside the United States, Larson knows Guadalajara is not even close to the border. The Larsons did get sick on the way down, however -- in Tucson, Ariz...

(see http://tinyurl.com/dhxb32 for full piece)

Steve

Minnesota
Level Contributor
831 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Headline: "Perception of violence in Mexico a deception"

I read this article in my home town paper this morning.

One must understand that those of us living up here in the frozen tundra all winter, driving our cars on lakes and facing -25 degree temps, may view the "risks" of visiting the Yucatan a little differently than others. ;o)

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,606 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Headline: "Perception of violence in Mexico a deception"

OK, well, no big deal, I guess, but does it strike anyone else here as somewhat surprising that we'd have 25-30 whole threads focused on worry about safety in the region, several of them many pages in length, but when a story finally comes along saying the flurry of stories on that in the media might be deceptive and misleading on this point, it garners a single response from someone who had already read it? :-)

I know it's just a single example, but it makes me think that maybe they're right about people being more interested in bad news!

Steve

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,860 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Headline: "Perception of violence in Mexico a deception"

I posted this article yesterday as I read the StarTrib daily - it's my local rag. Needs more press.

Cheryl

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Headline: "Perception of violence in Mexico a deception"

Steve

I think most regular contributors on here agree with the article so there's not much to say. When total drivel gets written it tends to provoke a much larger response :))

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Headline: "Perception of violence in Mexico a deception"

Thanks for posting this, Steve. Although it seems that more and more people are starting to understand that the current drug problems in Mexico really do not affect the general population and certainly not the tourist areas, our blog entry on safety in Mexico continues to get more hits every day than any other entry. It's clear that there are still many people who need to read things like this.

And we continue to get many emails and calls at the hotel asking the same question over and over: "Is it safe?"

Tony & Cheri

Luna Blue Hotel & Bar

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Headline: "Perception of violence in Mexico a deception"

I recently posted:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150812-i23-k26408…

One person responded. Go figure ?

Peace!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Headline: "Perception of violence in Mexico a deception"

Ya, I read Cheryl's post yesterday and commented.

And as we know - war, blood, gore - attracts, a nice day in a nice place is pretty boring stuff.

Houston, Tx
Level Contributor
290 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Headline: "Perception of violence in Mexico a deception"

I blame the media for "hyping" the danger up. We will be at Playa Maya in May, (YEA) and I am much more concerned about my son who is in training to be a border patrol agent than I am about my trip.

Carlsbad, CA
Level Contributor
214 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Headline: "Perception of violence in Mexico a deception"

Thanks for posting this PlayaMaya. I agree with you...there are like a hundred postings about people going on and on about the safety and we don't get to chat much about the other side of the story. I mean I posted something similar to your post and it got removed by Tripadvisor staff and I'm not exactly sure why...which is fine...but it's ashame that people who are really seeking answers, are bombarded by one side of the story only. Thanks again for the post!

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,606 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Headline: "Perception of violence in Mexico a deception"

Hey, thanks for the responses, folks! Hadn't been back to see them since my grumbling, there. :-)

I guess there's nothing up there I disagree with, though there's still a lingering kind of effect that bad news sells and good news is boring, you know. But people seem to be getting a more balanced view on this topic, now, so that's good and hope it continues.

Steve