We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from Valentin Imperial Maya

Level Contributor
393 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Just back from Valentin Imperial Maya

My husband and I spent had a much needed WONDERFUL vacation at VIM. I was so worried after reading some negatives on this board but they were for the most part unfounded. Yes, the towel game is a pain but I think with the windier than normal weather many beach people were at the pool making the chairs a hot commodity. If there were none available a small tip got your chairs brought up from the beach with no problem at all. As others stated the food is wonderful. The hotel was 100% booked and we never waited more than 30 minutes and that was only twice. The staff works very hard and 95% of them are so very gracious. No stomach ailments at all and no mosquitos either. We were in building 5 by request on the 3rd floor which I requested from reading this board. We could see the ocean and had slippers, robes and a journal every day. I believe it was just the basic room and it more than met our needs. We're in Mexico to be outside not in a stuffy hotel room! There are plenty of activities should you WANT to move. We did the bike tour, ping pong, pool, pilates, stretching on the beach, bingo, water polo, etc. I wouldn't hestitate to go back. I'm more than happy to answer any specific quesitons as I sure asked many prior to my visit. I can't imagine anyone not liking it here!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
284 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from Valentin Imperial Maya

Queezi---I'm glad you posted. I was wondering how your trip went. I leave tomorrow!!! Did you see if there were calling cards in the gift shop?? How bad is the lighting really? What was your fav. place to eat. Any little tips that you didn't think of before you left. Thanks

Ontario
Level Contributor
330 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from Valentin Imperial Maya

Lighting = bad. Really.

Our favourite restaurant was the Indonesian. Fantastic pad thai, lamb vindaloo, tandoori chicken... my mouth is watering just thinking about it!

Mudslides and Cosmopolitans were excellent.

I am jealous... have a great trip!

Level Contributor
393 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from Valentin Imperial Maya

Deeppulley:

Here's what I would say in hindsight.....

Realize that these people are not perfect and there may be a small glitch here and there...For instance when we first arrived and got to our room, it wasn't really our room as there were people in it! It seems the concierge worte down the number wrong. Yes it took 15 minutes to iron out and we were tired and could have gotten cranky butI thought back to what someone posted....I'm on vacation to have a great time not be a crankpot so I adopted that attitude when ever minor things could have been blown up I simply didnt go there!

I didn't look into phone cards because we added the international plan to my AT&T phone just for convenience. Didn't get the bill yet but it's too late to worry about that!

Yes the lighting is poor in a few areas but we got lost until the end anyway! The place is huge but we never minded a good walk after all the great food we ate.

I can't complain about any dinners at all. Loved the French which came as a surprise to me! Don't be shy. Just becasue it's a menu set up feel free to order whatever you like. One night we couldn't decide on desserts so we asked for 3 between the 2 of us. They put them on a cute little platter and it was just fine!

Don't overpack! They are pretty strict about wieght at the airlines. Have a wonderful time. My kids did fine without us and yours will too!

orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
271 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from Valentin Imperial Maya

Queezi, Glad you had a great trip. were trying to decide between VIM and ERC now for May, its sounds very nice at both.

Couple question,

Is the spa fully open and is it nice?

Do they play music around the main pool during the day or have any live music around it, I also read they have live bands every night, true?

when on the facing the ocean would the Iberostar grand be to the left or right?

Cincinnati, OH
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from Valentin Imperial Maya

thanks for the report, I leave tomorrow too!

Level Contributor
393 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back from Valentin Imperial Maya

I really didn't check out the spa so I can't speak on that. As far as the music around the pool, it varied from backround music to louder activity related tunes. I never found it offensive and if you didn't like it the other end was quieter. Not sure which way the Grand is either.

There is plenty of live music every night before dinner hour. There is a piano bar where we went for pre dinner drinks. Also, in the plaza there were several different types of cocktail hour entertainers playing. Every morning at breakfast there was live music by a beautiful harp. We really found it quite a lovely vacation spot.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
867 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back from Valentin Imperial Maya

Glad you had fun Queezi!!! Have fun to the two leaving tomorrow!

Punta Gorda, Florida
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back from Valentin Imperial Maya

Was wondering what they have for entertainment besides the nightly shows. We like to dance. We don't get to do that where we live very often. Also how were the mosquitos? I have read that they are bad. We leave this Thursday and am looking forward to the sun and warmth

Georgetown, ON
Level Contributor
127 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back from Valentin Imperial Maya

I'm also glad you posted, my Wife and I have booked for May 3-10, we are leaving our Children (7 and 5) with Grandma and Grandpa, I'm pretty sure they will be ok, I hope they don't miss us too much.

We are so excited, you mentioned activities, are they throughout the day, ie: Beach Volleyball, water vollyball???

Thanks,

Speedynag

10. Re: Just back from Valentin Imperial Maya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 16:21