We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mossies - Advice Please !!!!!

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pembroke Dock...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Mossies - Advice Please !!!!!

Hi Guys - off to Playa Car in a few days time and pose the following. On reading the reviews etc, they seem to be out more this time of year. Stayed in Eldorado Royale (Riveria Maya)last Sept - Oct and had no problems. Any views - comments on how to sort the problem, ie. Spray or plug ins, buy local or take with you. Any comments greatly appreciated. Chris

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mossies - Advice Please !!!!!

Since you'll be staying in Playacar, you won't have to worry about mosquitoes. If you plan on any tours like ziplining or cenote swimming (any jungle tours) you will need some spray.

Pendleton, Oregon
Level Contributor
402 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mossies - Advice Please !!!!!

I came back two weeks ago with bites. I even took spray with deet with us - went outside once after a shower for five minutes without spraying - got the bites then. I looked in the stores on 5th - saw lotion with no deet there. I'd get it before you go.

Pembroke Dock...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mossies - Advice Please !!!!!

Hi - can you explain the deet bit ???

michigan
Level Contributor
46 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mossies - Advice Please !!!!!

We returned 2 weeks ago and my son was really bitten up badly on the legs and ankles. I had our Dr. look at the bites because they were extremely itchy. He told me the bites were not mossie but a bug called a jigger. It is a tiny bug that you really cannot even see. He was the only one in our group that got bitten. He was given oatmeal baths and benedryl spray for the itch and the bites got better in about three days. I do not know if the mossie spray will do any good for the jiggers or not..worth a try. Take benedryl spray with you for the bites because they really do itch.

Rochester NY
Level Contributor
34 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mossies - Advice Please !!!!!

We went to Playa del Carmen (Riu Yucatan) March29-April 5 and not one bug bite. Never wore any mosquito spray at all. Went into Playa del Carmen twice at night and again, not one bug bite. I guess it depends on who the bugs like to bite, but we never had a problem.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
479 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mossies - Advice Please !!!!!

Deet is the ingredient that repels mosquitoes. We did not get bitten by mosquitoes during our week at the GSP. If you spend time at the beach, your lower extremities may get bitten by sand fleas which are often mistaken for mosquito bites. Deet will work to prevent these as well according to the experts.

High deet lotions are oily and smelly. They'll take paint off vehicles, damage plastics, and even damage some clothing. Most sprays such as "Deep Woods Off" will contain 25% deet and will be much less damaging than the lotions.

If you are pool people, you're not likely to get any bites. If you do, just put on a little anti-itch ointment.

London, United...
Level Contributor
318 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mossies - Advice Please !!!!!

B vitamin a couple of weeks before you go is supposed to do the trick. Someone suggested eating marmite every day a couple of weeks before you go, not that everyone likes marmite.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
479 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mossies - Advice Please !!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEET

Humberston-on Sea
Level Contributor
263 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mossies - Advice Please !!!!!

I've heard that these chinese 'Dr and Herb' shops that are springing up everywhere over here do a good prevention remedy,but i think it includes various parts of wild animals anatomies..and costs a fortune.Hope this helps.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
479 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mossies - Advice Please !!!!!

lol