We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

riu palace mexico, palace riviera maya or yucatan???

Florida
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
riu palace mexico, palace riviera maya or yucatan???

Trying to book today and still stuck! Are the palaces worth the extra money? We'll be there 7 nights.

Active mid 30's couple, we like liveliness, but we also enjoy the palacial feeling of the palace resorts.

Southern Illinois
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: riu palace mexico, palace riviera maya or yucatan???

For fun-Yucatan for sure

Portsmouth, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen, Akumal
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: riu palace mexico, palace riviera maya or yucatan???

If you stay at a Riu Palace you can use the facilities of the other Riu resorts, but the guest at the others may not use the facilities of the Riu Palace resorts. The Riu Palace resorts are a little more upscale and do offer things like room service that the others do not. We have been to the Riu Yucatan 2 times and would go back.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: riu palace mexico, palace riviera maya or yucatan???

I'm leaning strongly towards yucatan. We have done the palaces and I love them. But, I keep thinking of the snorkelling trips and shopping I can do with that extra $400 I'll save by staying at Yucatan.

Thanks for the input.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
665 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: riu palace mexico, palace riviera maya or yucatan???

Honestly, there isn't much shopping to do there in my humble opinion. I would spend the money on the hotel, however, I like to also spend time at the hotel, using the things that are available. The RIU Palace is beautiful and the rooms are bigger, however, I don't spend much time in my room, but when I am in there it is nice. I say RIU Palace Riveria Maya

Florida
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: riu palace mexico, palace riviera maya or yucatan???

bump

California
Level Contributor
444 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: riu palace mexico, palace riviera maya or yucatan???

I have been to both the Riu Palace Riveria Maya (last year) and the Riu Palace(2years ago). They are very simular in food,service and rooms the difference is the pool area. At the Riu Palace the pool area is very small,but the beach was beautiful. The Riu Palace Riveria Maya had a much larger pool area but the beach area was smaller (due to hurricane). If I had to pick between the two I would pick the Riu Palace Riveria Maya because the pool area was very nice and it seems a lot more "livelier" the Riu Palace was very quiet. I do not think you could go wrong with either one. Have a nice trip.

Rochester NY
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: riu palace mexico, palace riviera maya or yucatan???

Newschick:

We just returned from the Riu Yucatan. We walked next door to the Riu Palace. The hotel is beautiful, but it was not lively at all compared to the Yucatan.In fact, it was down right quiet in the afternoon. We were a group of 10 adults and we enjoy a more lively hotel.

If you are going to have fun, I'd definitely save your money and choose the Yucatan. We loved it. The beach is nicer than the Palace beach as well.

I think the Palace would be a great choice for Senior Citizens or travellers who just want total peace and quiet.

Have a great time!

Calgary
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: riu palace mexico, palace riviera maya or yucatan???

One of the Palaces for sure! We have stayed at Riu Palace Mexico a couple of times and NEVER had to worry about a lounge chair, there were tons of empty ones. Walked over to Yucatan to check it out and it was so crowded...

Also, if you are going in say October when it is super humid and hot...the air conditioned lobby is great in the Palace...no air at the others (except for your room of course)

9. Re: riu palace mexico, palace riviera maya or yucatan???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 00:17