We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandos Playacar Concerns/Questions

Iowa
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Sandos Playacar Concerns/Questions

I am super excited to take a long awaited family vacation to Sandos Playacar this June. Though most recent reviews and forum posts have been positive, there are a few things I have concerns about.

We are two parents with three small children, booked into the Riviera Section because that is apparently the only one that has rooms to fit five people. our group.(though it sounds great and we are thrilled to stay here). It seems that nearly every reviewer has been placed into a room other than what they requested, beach vs. Riviera or vice-versa. Could this happen to us and we'd be horribly cramped? Worse, a recent reviewer indicated that upon arrival her group was bumped to an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT RESORT - the Sandos Caracol. This would be my worst nightmare? How can they do that? If I book and pay for one resort how can we be sent elsewhere? Do we have no recourse at all? I booked the trip through Funjet online, will this help?

We are staying June 29 - July 6 and I have no idea if this is a busy time? Does the fact that we arriving on Monday hurt us? Are the weekends the busiest check-in days, leaving us with what is leftover?

Finally, I have read contradictory reports about the ala carte restaurants. Do you make reservations only on Sunday for the period Sun-Sat or can you do it any day? If we can only do Sunday and arrive on Monday, it appears we will not be able to make any reservations, other than for our last day there.

Any help is appreciated and I would love to hear from someone from Sandos if they read this - we are hoping for a great vacation!

Mentioned in this post
Sandos Playacar Beach Resort
Sandos Playacar Beach...
14,202 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Sandos Caracol Eco Resort
Sandos Caracol Eco Resort
14,034 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
CT
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandos Playacar Concerns/Questions

We just returned last week. My review is posted and I'm one of the ones who requested the beach section but got the Riviera section but they moved us the next day. You won't be placed in the beach section because they only place 4 occupants in those rooms.

We arrived on a Wednesday and could book Wednesday - Saturday. You can book restaurants on ANY day (based on availability) but Sunday is the first day to book for that week. So if you arrive on Monday you can book Monday-Saturday although people booking on Sunday would have the most chance of availablilty. Does that make sense?

You can contact Cinthia via TA and below is her contact information to get your room request in the system. Of course I did this and didn't receive my request but it never hurts to try.

I don't believe the time you are traveling is a busy time, I believe peak time is December thru April.

www.tripadvisor.com/members/Sandos_Playacar

p.s. make sure you keep track of your towel cards and towels or you will be charged at check out. If you have other questions, just post them.

It is a good affordable family vacation spot and my son loves it there. We love the beach at Sandos.

Spring Hill, Florida
Level Contributor
34 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandos Playacar Concerns/Questions

Hi Becky,

I haven't been there yet but I understand your excitement as we will be there at the same time. I have 3 kids (ages 11, 9 and 4) and we are going from July 3-12. C u there!!

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandos Playacar Concerns/Questions

Hi Becky,

We will be at Sandos the same time as your family and are also booked in the Riviera rooms. this is our second time here and we love it ...the riviera rooms are so much nicer and quieter than the beach rooms you will love them....I know alot of people complain about the walk to the beach but it is just not that big of a deal....I think if for some reason they try and bump you to another resort due to overbooking you would need to speak to you tour operator which is on site and complain...at least that is what I would do....I really don't think you have much to worry about as you have booked through a reliable tour company

new york/new jersey...
Level Contributor
2,706 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandos Playacar Concerns/Questions

hi Becky...will be going back to sandos for the 5th time may or june (i know-i better hurry up and make plans LOL)...

riviera is beautiful and yes the rooms accommodate a larger fam...they wouldn't put you in the beach section...bumping to their other resort is not a usual thing-don't know the circumstances...need to hear both sides...it's possible the group wanted to be together and their rooms at sandos weren't so they gave them a choice to go to the other resort/or something on that order...

right after u ck in u can make all the allotted a la cartes for the week no matter when u arrive...we love the buffets so even on an 8 day vaca we maybe go 2-3x to the a la carte restaurants-no big deal really...we don't like being tied down to a dinner hour either...just my preference...

u will have a great vaca-hope to have my plans in order soon! :0)

Iowa
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandos Playacar Concerns/Questions

Thank you all so much for the information and assurances! I am feeling better now that I know we likely won't be squashed in a small room or shipped out to a different resort (fingers crossed)! I am actually very easy going and don't have expectations for perfection, but do need to know we will have a decent room for the kids and get to actually stay at the resort we researched... :0)

I'm glad to hear others from TA will be there at the same time too!

CT
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandos Playacar Concerns/Questions

My son loves this resort. In the past he has loved the tennis lessons, beach soccer and of course the pools and ocean.

This year he really loved the water polo which is organized by the resort but he really enjoyed the informal water polo organized by the kids. Basically around 10 am, a lot of boys would show up in the beach pool (you'll see the soccer goals) and just ask kids to join in.

We also enjoyed walking down the undeveloped beach, sometimes you see lizards (look in the greyish rock coral on the beach) or small crabs. You can also find tiny but really pretty shells or pieces of coral on the shore too.

Even the beach whales are fun for the kids. Have a great trip.

p.s. definately book the steakhouse, that was our favorite.

7. Re: Sandos Playacar Concerns/Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 03:17