We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dollars or Pesos

Glasgow
Level Contributor
971 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Dollars or Pesos

Travelling from the UK in July, what would be better value to bring?

Shediac, Canada
Level Contributor
440 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dollars or Pesos

Hello,

definitely pesos. Better value for you and when negotiating prices while shopping, you will get a better deal in pesos.

Sincerely, Nicaribbean

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,872 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dollars or Pesos

I agree with Nicaribbean. If you were American you could use your dollars, but pesos are the better value. There are plenty of ATM machines available, they only dispense pesos.

On
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dollars or Pesos

I live in Canada and for me it was less expensive to change my Canadian here at home for American and buy the peso's at the resort. another reason I would say take US dollars is that you can use any money you have left over on your next vacation as US dollars are accepted pretty much every where ( except Cuba I believe) If you do take US dollars take small bills, its hard to haggle when you only have a 20$!

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,929 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dollars or Pesos

At many businesses you will get a worse exchange rate paying with dollars.

I say either plan to use your ATM to get pesos in Mexico or bring pounds and exchange directly to pesos. The money exchanges on 5th Av have decent rates and will exchange most foreign currency, for sure British pounds.

Every time you change money you lose something, so why change to dollars only to change dollars to pesos?

Shediac, Canada
Level Contributor
440 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dollars or Pesos

Hi Suzie,

I am sorry but I have to disagree with you. It doesn't make sense exchanging your money twice. Everytime you do exchange you lose. I bought some mexican pesos before leaving at my international bank. Used the ATM a couple of times for more pesos. 5th avenue shops do not give a good rate when using US funds.

Sincerely, Nicaribbean

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dollars or Pesos

"another reason I would say take US dollars is that you can use any money you have left over on your next vacation as US dollars are accepted pretty much every where" You obviously haven't visited anywhere the other side of the Atlantic :))

Leeds ,Yorkshire
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Dollars or Pesos

Hi , We are also travelling from the uk July and are taking Peso's. Alot better value for money.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
971 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dollars or Pesos

Thanks to all. That confirms my thoughts. Will take some pesos and my ATM card.

Someone mentioned taking some 1 dollar bills as they are useful for tipping?

Shediac, Canada
Level Contributor
440 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dollars or Pesos

Hello,

when getting pesos...ask for lots of 20 pesos and tip with those. 1 british pound = 20 pesos (approx.)

Sincerely, Nicaribbean

London, United...
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Dollars or Pesos

Be careful using your ATM card due to charges applied by UK banks. Nationwide debit and credit cards are the best for using abraod at the moment (though they may start charging from this summer). The ATMs in PDC will also charge for use (though only a few pesos).

We took pesos and tipped in pesos (you'll get some small change once you start spending which you can use for tips).