We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Info Overload - AI Hotel w/ 2 teens Suggestions Appreciated

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Estevan, Canada
Level Contributor
114 posts
144 reviews
Save Topic
Info Overload - AI Hotel w/ 2 teens Suggestions Appreciated

I've been pouring over forum posts for a few weeks now, trying to decide on an AI hotel. The more I read the harder the decision gets, lol. We are planning a family trip to PDC area in Feb. with our 17 & 14 yr old kids.

We're going for a week & will probably spend 4 days off site (deep sea fishing, Tulum, Coba, Xel-Ha or Cozumel?), the rest lazing on the beach.

We are looking for a smaller AI with beachfront walkout room/suite, preferably with palapa reserved.

We'd like a hotel where the bar doesn't close down before 10pm. Activities & a great pool scene are not that important to us. (but salsa lessons & pottery painting would be a bonus) We live on the prairies, we have pools - we'd rather sit on a great beach & watch the ocean. ;o)

Gran Porto Real & Playacar Palace have caught my eye & are at the top of our budget. (there isn't much beach at PP so maybe it's not the best choice for us)

Anywhere else I should look into??

I'd appreciate any input you can share!

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Info Overload - AI Hotel w/ 2 teens Suggestions Appreciated

You might want to consider a non AI. Look into the Playa Maya. Small place but right on the beach (fits your great beach requirement), good restaurant/bar on the beach, and easy access to 5th avenue. See how it fits your budget.

In February, you are right about the PP. As much as we like this resort there is not much (or none) beach in the winter. Also, too early to see what will happen with the planned beach restoration project.

Estevan, Canada
Level Contributor
114 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Info Overload - AI Hotel w/ 2 teens Suggestions Appreciated

Thanks, going to ccheck it out right now.

Any others, anyone?

Maryland
Level Contributor
464 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Info Overload - AI Hotel w/ 2 teens Suggestions Appreciated

This is an odd thing to mention and I have mentioned it before. It seems that many resorts have an 'open' bathroom. Check on this before you choose if it matters to you.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Info Overload - AI Hotel w/ 2 teens Suggestions Appreciated

With two teens, going non-AI could get to be very expensive.

One real advantage of Gran Porto Real is that it is IN TOWN.......If the hotel gets "dull" you can always walk into town. Pool not huge.

Another option but 20 min NORTH of town is the Iberostar Paraiso Complex. The Del Mar or the Beach are the lower-priced. The only downside is that the buffet is not air conditioned. The Lindo is a bit more upscale.

There's always the IB Tucan and Quetzal in Playacar (a community in Playa - south of the town)....easy to get to town by taxi....or long walk.

Level Contributor
501 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Info Overload - AI Hotel w/ 2 teens Suggestions Appreciated

A couple of things... We have taken our teen and her friend before and I would suggest AI simply due to not worrying about what they are ordering and pouring out, what they are eating 6 times a day, etc.

I THINK you would care more about a pool scene than you think.. Salsa Lessons and Pottery will be the boring parts of your teens' fun--there is so much more. You want a good entertainment staff that will keep all happy.

Do your teens or you want the fishing and everything that you have planned four days off the resort?

Our teens really liked the RIU resorts, Gran Porto, or the Royal...

RIU will keep everyone happy for the budget you are descibing...

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Info Overload - AI Hotel w/ 2 teens Suggestions Appreciated

Viva Wyndham Maya is the good choice with the teens - they charge kids prices until 18-teen, it is also small and there are 24 hours bar, salsa lessons and all other activities.The only thing that is bad about any hotel in the Playacar area is the quality of the beach - with the erosion and sand bags that hold the beach from loosing the sand any further. There are better beaches in the other areas of the Riviera Maya but the AI resorts there are generally more expensive and bigger - Barcelo Maya, Grand Palladium etc.

Estevan, Canada
Level Contributor
114 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Info Overload - AI Hotel w/ 2 teens Suggestions Appreciated

Thanks for the heads up on the bathrooms - I'll take notice.

Ya, we thought that AI would be better with kids just so they can eat & drink whatever, whenever. This will be our first AI vacation. We find that the biggest part of our vacation budgets seem to go on food & drinks.

We are all in for the off site excursions. We are collectively picking things everyone loves to do.

We're willing to compromise and go somewhere with a smaller or not so fabulous a beach if it means we can stay out of the mega resorts. As long as we can have beach chairs & palapas.

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll be checking them out directly.

CT
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Info Overload - AI Hotel w/ 2 teens Suggestions Appreciated

We just returned from Sandos Playacar. It seems to meet a lot of your requirements, the beach is especially awesome but you must request the beach section not the Riviera section or you will be far from the beach.

We are considering the Viva Wyndam Azteca for a future trip for the reasons the above poster listed. The Barcelo is on our list too.

We have also stayed at the Iberostar Lindo which is more upscale than Sandos and Viva properties but it is not as close to the excursions. The advantage to this resort is that the food is better and more teens but no ocean view rooms.

If you want to visit Coba we did this excursion with Alltournative Tours called the Mayan Encounter. It was awesome!!! My son thought I was the coolest mom ever. We have also visited xcaret if you want to PM questions.

9. Re: Info Overload - AI Hotel w/ 2 teens Suggestions Appreciated

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2009, 06:19