We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberostar Consolidation?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Iberostar Consolidation?

Going to Tucan on June 7. Heard (yes, perhaps yet another rumor) that the Iberostar's are going to consolidate their resorts. I would think that would be an ENORMOUS undertaking and a logistical nightmare with the resturaunts, service personel, guests, bookings, cancellations, etc.

Has anyone heard the same?

FFC

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Iberostar Consolidation?

The RIU chain already did it, so I wouldn't be surprised. I think they just close the cheapest one and upgrade everything else. I'd imagine as long as you weren't at the cheapest one you could request to stay at your current location.

I think it isn't a bad idea; would be kind of boring to be at an empty resort.

Wakefield, Ma
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iberostar Consolidation?

I think all the resorts here will start making a few changes to account for the cancelations they must be getting. I expect next week to be a lot worse than this one was because when they stopped all flights to Cancun from the UK and Canada many people were already in Cancun for the week. I can see them taking turns in closing certain restaurants on certain days---similar to what they do off season and with resorts like Riu and Iberostar who have so many resorts consolidading the resorts. I'm sure they are all going to try and make the people as happy as they can but I can also see how they couldn't possibly employ enough help for 7 resorts to stay fully open which will each probably be only 25% full. I would also think that the guests will be happier if the resort they are at is more full than empty. Hopefully they will all be able to survive this rough period.

Wakefield, Ma
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iberostar Consolidation?

Looks like GBP is doing the same thing.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150812-i23-k27560…

It wouldn't surprise me if Palladium and Barcelo were soon to follow. All those guests are leaving today and tomorrow and hardly any are coming in.

Saint James, New...
Level Contributor
143 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iberostar Consolidation?

I sent an email to Iberostar earlier today. We're booked at The Maya coming in on 5/17. It wouldn't hurt if the warnings were lifted! Pure speculation what our dates will hold for us but I would bet occupancy will be down significantly.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
78 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iberostar Consolidation?

Just called the IB Tucan directly and this is true. Quetzal will be closed and combined with the Tucan.

Austin TX
Level Contributor
444 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Iberostar Consolidation?

Barcelo Maya is upgrading their Beach/Caribe guests to Tropical/Colonial thru June 30th. Bahia Principe Coba and Tulum guests are being reaccomodated at the Akumal section thru May 31st.

Tami

Texas
Level Contributor
117 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Iberostar Consolidation?

So what exactly does that mean, that Quetzal will be combined with Tucan, does that mean less restaurants are open, or does it mean we just have more pool and beach room to ourselves? How long is Queztal closed for?

East Central Indiana
Level Contributor
293 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iberostar Consolidation?

I'm booked at Tucan but have never been there before. Isn't Quetzal basically the same resort with a different check-in and occupies the north side of the rooms complex? Wouldn't this just mean they can get rid of half their housekeepers and front desk clerks for the duration of the consolidation?

Does anyone know or have reason to believe that this will change as soon as bookings go back up? I mean, if they close the one resort and then, since this scare is starting to diminish, people start calling for reservations, would they be told they are "full" as they may only be booking for ONE resort? Won't there be a transistion time at some point where they start using them both again and at that time occupancy would be low?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
196 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Iberostar Consolidation?

I am booked at the Quetzal for the 24th. I would like to know about this as well what they plan to o with the restaurants, etc...

East Central Indiana
Level Contributor
293 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Iberostar Consolidation?

Seems to me if they close some of the restaurants, they would also risk losing more reservations. If we're going to be the ones that don't let this thing bother us, we should definitely have the vacation we paid and planned for.