We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is open?

knoxville
1 post
Save Topic
What is open?

Since the archaeological sites and tours have been pretty much shut down does anyone have recommendations for what else i can do on my trip? I was planning Xcaret and Chichen Itza but now it looks like that wont work out. Does anyone know of any towns nearby that might be worth visiting? Also, I have heard that they are planning to close things until the 6th of May and then they will figure out after that if they should reopen. Is this true? My trip is May 8.

PA
Level Contributor
413 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What is open?

Xcaret is not closed, nor will be. The ruins are said to be reopening on May 6th but that remains to be seen. Good chance though.

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
811 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is open?

Definitly go to Xcaret if it is open! It is a full day of wonderful things to see and do!

Martinsburg, West...
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is open?

Xcaret is open as well as Xel-Ha and Akumal. Chichen Itza and Tulum are closed because they are government ran.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,289 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is open?

Word is by May 8th things will be up and running. IMHO Xcaret is nothing but a huge waterpark and tourist trap that is extremely expensive. The town of PDC is great and you could take the ferry over to Cozumel and do some snorkeling, Akumal has a nice lagoon for snorkeling and some nice bars/restaurants. Casa Cenote is a beautiful open air restaurant in Tankah for lunch with an awesome view of the sea. I dont know where you are staying but there are some amazing beaches in Tulum.

5. Re: What is open?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2009, 04:34