We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Viva Maya and Azteca

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
486 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Viva Maya and Azteca

Please tell me about the beaches at these two hotels. Sand Whales? etc. Thanks

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
486 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Viva Maya and Azteca

bump

PA
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Viva Maya and Azteca

I have been to both. I was at the Maya in July 2007 and the Azteca November 2008. The beaches had the sand bags, but they were still the nicest beaches in the area. The beach area is wide, lots of chairs and palapas. The Riu Palace is next to the Azteca and it's beach was almost non-existent compared to the Aztecas. We ran into town then back on the beach one morning and the Azteca's beach was definitely one of the best. The Maya's was as well but it has been longer since I have been there. Great resorts for the money, would recommend either one. PM me if you have any questions.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
486 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Viva Maya and Azteca

Thanks. I appreciate the reply and the PM offer.

b.c. canada
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Viva Maya and Azteca

I was at the maya last november ,the beach is very nice,the best of what we did see,you,ll love the place

The Villages...
Level Contributor
258 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Viva Maya and Azteca

We just returned from PDC yesterday after an 8 day stay at the Viva Wyndham Azteca. We were supposed to stay at the Viva Wyndham Maya but they closed the resort on May 5th for the month of May and perhaps June too if business does not pick up. Everyone that was staying at the Viva Wyndham Maya was moved to the Viva Wyndham Azteca (4 resorts down the beach). The Viva Wyndham Azteca is a smaller resort (300 rooms compared to 500+ rooms at the Viva Maya).

We would have preferred staying at the Viva Wyndham Maya as the Viva Wyndham Azteca does not have a swim up bar and many of the things to do that you will find at the Viva Wyndham Maya. Also, I think the food was better at the Viva Wyndham Maya when we stayed there in August, 2007.

The Viva Wyndham Azteca had only 1/3rd of their rooms occupied even after transferring the remaining guests from the Viva Wyndham Maya. The beach lounge chairs were mostly vacant at 8AM in the morning. Usually you have to reserve a palapa around 5:30AM to get a good place for the day. Not this time! It looked like a ghost town on the beach in the morning. The staff has been reduced but the service was still good considering their lack of occupancy.

During our stay they also closed the Occidental Allegro Playacar next door to the Viva Wyndham Azteca. The airport also had hardly no travelers when we left yesterday and no one waiting in line to check-in at the Delta counter when we arrived. Our plane was only half full going from Cancun to Salt Lake City. That is why so many charter flights have been canceled and other airlines too. The resorts in Playa del Carmen are really hurting for business. The President of Mexico recently announced a big advertising campaign in the US, Canada and Europe in an effort to get people traveling back to Mexico again. I hope it works as I feel sorry for all the people out of work there.

We still had a great time and the weather was supurb with no rain during our entire stay. The beach is in great condition now. Our only complaint was the mosquitos that come out at night and attack your legs. If you are going please remember mosquito repellant as you will need it.

6. Re: Viva Maya and Azteca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2009, 09:17