We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Playa really empty?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
81 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Is Playa really empty?

My husband and I are heading to Playa on the 29th of May and I read a few posts here saying Playa is deserted..half empty beaches etc....Is this true?? I don't want to go on holiday to a Ghost Town!! I need a bit of life!

Ohio
Level Contributor
52 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Playa really empty?

We are in at the Royal Playa del Carmen now (arrived on Tuesday). It's far from crowded, but I wouldn't call it a ghost town either.

No problems getting chairs at the pool or beach any time of day. There were plenty of people at the beach, but not so much that you're on top of each other. It would be nice if there were more people on 5th Avenue... the vendors are all out trying to get you into their shops. And without more people, you get nabbed by EVERY one of them! (We need to go back and check it out again though... their sales pitch was "almost free" and "99% off." Gotta go see if that's true! lol)

Anyway, regardless, I'm sure you'll have a great vacation.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,828 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Playa really empty?

The beaches have a lot of activity in PDC going from the Ferry dock well nort of Mamitas. In Playacar many of the resorts are closed & consolidated with sister resorts. We walked all the way down to Sandos Playacar, who had a number of sunbathers. The big Iberostars were closed as well as most of the RIU's. Not many beach walkers like the beach in PDC.

I talked to the fellow at Alhambra Hotel yesterday evening and he said reservations were picking up for the future.

May is usually a slow month until the Mexicans start vacationing June and July. Surely, they haven't bought into the flu scare.

Playa del Carmen
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Playa really empty?

Hi,

I'm living in Playa del Carmen and I can tell you that's not a Ghost town... yes a lot a people are missing here...lol...thanks to the swine flu...but I can assure you that you gonna enjoy your vacations... it's the perfect weather now the ocean is warm and it's not groudy...

So keep coming in Playa and enjoy our beautiful city...

cheers

chris

Maine
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Playa really empty?

My husband and I are arriving on the 31st, so you know that there will at least be another couple there (ha ha). I am glad that I won't have to stress over the towel game!! We are going for a romantic/relaxing vacation, so a little quieter is okay with me!! I can't wait!!!! I have been trying to look at the web cam every once in awhile, but it is pretty hit or miss foe whether or not it works. We are staying at the Royal - CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Playa really empty?

Just got back yesterday, wish we were still there. It's not too crowded or too dead. Just the right amount of life for us! It was just fabulous!!! Have fun!

Versailles, Ohio
Level Contributor
71 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Playa really empty?

Myself, husband and another couple will also be arriving on the 29th-staying at the GPR. It sounds from what I have been reading that the crowds should be picking up. I know we are ready to party...it's been a long school year!

illinois
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Playa really empty?

Playa del carmen is totaly not a ghost town my family and I were there last night and I lost my mom for 2 hours, so there is people in playa!!I think this is the best time to come just because its not to crowded,we went to xel ha and "there is no line waiting at all"

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Playa really empty?

My first trip to PDC was right after hurrricane Wilma destroyed much of the area. We were so lucky that the lovely folks just made us feel so welcome and wanted. Tourism is a career/livelyhood for so many. Even in those dark days (business's wrecked, attractions closed) we experienced such a wonderful vacation that we now go as often as possible. Just like I felt the first time I was in Ireland, long ago. There'll be no ghost town feeling. You'll be back!

Katy, Texas
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Playa really empty?

My wife and I are headed to the Royal PDC on May 31st! No little piggy flu is going to stop us!! Plus the PDC website promises 3 free vacations if you get the pig flu! Won't help much if you kick the bucket, but hey, I'm just sayin! Overall I'm glad it's going to be a little less crowded than normal, more fun for us!!

BC

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
81 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Playa really empty?

Thank you all so much for your replies...I'm definitely feeling much better about things now. We'll be soaking up the sun in Playa 2 weeks from today so I'm officially on countdown. :)

cormac55 I'm glad you enjoyed Ireland and you were made to feel welcome. What part of the country did you stay in?