We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa VS Punta Cana

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
760 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Playa VS Punta Cana

No contest.

I know alot of people love both destinations and I guess it depends on what you want to do but after a few hours on the beach, which is stunning by the way, all we wanted to do was go into town... or at least get off the resort!

We had a great time but my heart is still in Playa.

So for those debating (or forced like us) to change destinations be warned...there is very little to do off your resort.

Again, no disrespect to Punta Cana, it was beautiful but it just doesn't have the magic of Mexico.

boston,ma
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa VS Punta Cana

I agree totally

been to PC twice and had a great time but playa beats it only bc of all the great things to do off the resort

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
484 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa VS Punta Cana

"Canadien"

I agree. I'd give our Maya beach where we stayed a C- and our PC beach an A+. Punta Cana beaches are amazing but excursions, good snorkelling, and any shopping are very limited.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
760 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa VS Punta Cana

It was just missing something. There is something festive about the Riviera Maya and you can't beat the atmosphere in my opinion. The culture, the history, the food...everything combined makes it so special.

I love the beach and for the most part the Caribbean, but I now know I will definitely not go to another destination where there is no town.

New Castle, PA
Level Contributor
151 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa VS Punta Cana

I agree with all of you. We really enjoyed Punta Cana, spent a lot of time doing nothing, and met some really great people. But it can't compare with being able to go into Playa--there is just so much more to do when you want to get away from the resort for awhile. So, we'll be there again in August!!

Rocky Top
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa VS Punta Cana

Punta Cana has the beaches. It is a place to chill out at the resort and relax. PDC has the all the action and entertainment one would want. I guess that is why I choose PDC for one of my yearly trips and PC about every 4 years.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Playa VS Punta Cana

I love the beaches in Punta Cana and La Romana....but unless you go on an organized tour, you really cant afford to go "off property".

I rarely do Tours anymore, but its nice to have the option....As touristy as Playa is, and frankly, most of the stores are rip-offs....I still prefer it to many other places (except perhaps Aruba where there is lots of great shopping/beaches.

New Castle, Kentucky
Level Contributor
375 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Playa VS Punta Cana

just returned from punta cana. it was beautiful. if you like shopping and nitelife then not much there. we usually go to Cancun, and were rerouted. had a good time and was kind of nice just laying around for a week but have already booked another vacation for sept. for cancun,we did miss the activity after a few days.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Playa VS Punta Cana

another vote for PDC over Punta Cana....glad we tried the Dominican, but have no desire to go back.

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,208 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Playa VS Punta Cana

If you just want to be on the beach and not go off resort Punta Cana wins. Way better beach.

If you are interested in any kind of activies off property, PDC Wins.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
484 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Playa VS Punta Cana

Punta Cana's airport has cool factor :-)