We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Everybody buying Insurance???

Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Everybody buying Insurance???

Is everybody buying the travel insurance when they go over ? For our family of five it will be an extra $500. What are everybodys opinions please?

WV
Level Contributor
3,527 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Everybody buying Insurance???

I doon't buy trip insurance for two reasons: first we have upgraded our regular insurance to include vacation insurance inc. car rental for a small price, and second IF the issue is not traveller oriented the TA and airline sites will reschedule or provide options (hurricanes, flu, travel advisories etc). Read the fine print to see what is covered (and what is NOT) before spending 10% or more on insurance. Just MHO

Burlington
Level Contributor
480 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Everybody buying Insurance???

For the first time In february going to Puerto Vallarta..I bought insurance from CAA for $92. I didn't need it but the coverage was for a year. Went to Myrtle Beach In April, sprained my knee. To the hospital for xrays, exams and finally given a huge knee brace and crutches.

I never di dsee a bill since it went directly to the insurance company in Canada.

Don't think I will travel without insurance again.

Bob

Katy, Texas
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Everybody buying Insurance???

I don't buy travel insurance. Not worth it to me on a risk-adjusted basis (likelyhood of using vs cost).

If I ever do have an issue that requires me to cancel or have costs that would have been covered by travel insurance, it will be paid for by all the years that I saved by not buying travel insurance.

BC

Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Everybody buying Insurance???

So what happens if there is a hurricane and all the flights are cancelled and the hotels cancelled ? Do i need insurance for that or will that be covered by the hotel and airline?

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,118 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Everybody buying Insurance???

Hurricane: My best recollection is that airlines will allow you to reschedule. Hotels may as well but am not sure.

Note that airlines may only allow rescheduling close to the closest approach point so maybe at most three days out.

Check your airline website to see if they have a hurricane policy available for viewing.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,118 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Everybody buying Insurance???

Here is the policy from American

http://tinyurl.com/puj3qt

Katy, Texas
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Everybody buying Insurance???

What's interesting in CO's link to American's policy is that even if you have a "non-refundable" ticket, you essentially can get a refund if you cancel (for any particular reason) by getting a travel voucher that's good for a year. So in a sense, a non-refundable ticket is refundable, or at least delay-able.

I'm sure the other carriers have similar policies, as well as hotel/resorts - just need to check with them to see their policy -- there is always something you can work out, maybe with a fee or maybe some other manner, but usually if you are polite and patient hey will work with you.

I recently cancelled my bookit reservation to Playa, and paid a $20 fee for cancellation/refund. I then incorrectly booked a reservation with Travelocity and immediately cancelled - they charged me a $25 fee by I emailed them and asked them to refund it and consider my long-term relationship with them as a customer, and they did refunded it.

BC

MJo
Spring Grove, IL
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Everybody buying Insurance???

You will not have medical coverage in Mexico unless you purchase additional trip insurance. Hospitals in Mexico require payment before they do anything, so you can be dying, and they will not do anything unless you pay first. I always purchase the insurance where it is my primary when traveling out of the country.

In addition, it also covers lost luggage, trip delays, if another person traveling with you gets ill, etc.

Some people think they can cut costs by not purchasing trip insurance, but it's not such a good idea as everyone who just dealt with the Swine Flu issues could tell you.

It really is worth it in the long run.

Katy, Texas
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Everybody buying Insurance???

Mjo, that's not how my insurance coverage works. I have a high-deductible plan with my employer, and it states the following:

Traveling Outside the United States

If you require medical services while traveling outside the United States on pleasure or business, the cost will be covered according to the rules of your medical option. You should:

> Pay for the services;

> If possible, have the bill translated into English;

> If possible, convert the currency into U.S. dollars using the conversion rate posted on www.oanda.com is of the date the service was received or the prescription was filled; and then

> Submit the claim form to the Claims Administrator

for reimbursement.

Emergency services received anywhere in the world

are always reimbursed at the in-network level.

Overall, it depends on your specific coverage, but I would guess most people with coverage from an employee would be covered without additional travel insurance.

BC

Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Everybody buying Insurance???

Yes i know a lot of people dont buy it and i must admit im on the fence about it. It does seem to be a lot of money for the five of us. On the other hand what if something happens? Are you saying that all those people that no insurance when the swine flu broke out and couldnt leave, lost all their money?