We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Edmonton CANADA
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Which of these 3 and why? :o)

Club El Mandarin

El Caracol Village

Akumal Beach Resort

I'm sorry if I'm annoying, But I just can't seem to find a good resort in the $7000 price range! I only wish I could find the deals you all can from the USA! Right now I am working at keeping my 2 week vacation for 4 of us under $8000... (yikes)

Canada
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Which of these 3 and why? :o)

The question is WHEN do you want to go?

Canada
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Which of these 3 and why? :o)

Also is it for two adults and two children, if so the ages of the children?

Edmonton CANADA
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which of these 3 and why? :o)

LOL Well I am quite familiar with the Playa area and have researched the heck out of the whole area and when I was there in April I visited many resorts, But unfortunately I didn't get to see any of these 3 that are listed above...

No matter when I decide to go (Feb, Mar, Apr) It is still those resorts that show up as the best deals. I've had 2 supposed bookings already fall thru on me for other places (Grand Gala Esmeralda) So I'm back at square one. ~sigh~

Edmonton CANADA
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which of these 3 and why? :o)

I've spent like literally hours/days online pricing on all the big Canadian site (Selloffvacations, travelwarehouse, itravel) I just keep hoping for some super deal to pop up! lol

There are 2 kids 3 and 10...But to make it cheaper we are going with other ppl so we price it out as 1 child per room as most resorts charge more for the 2nd child.

Edmonton CANADA
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which of these 3 and why? :o)

by the way...I envy you....Toronto has amazing deals!! Unfortunately from Edmonton we don't really get any deals lol

Victoria BC
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which of these 3 and why? :o)

We've been searching for the amazing deals as well, out of Vancouver, and haven't seen anything. Because there are 12 of us, we finally just booked. We are heading to the Sandos Caracole Spa (previously El Caracole Village) in November for a week. I haven't had any success in getting a recent review, and the renovations are supposed to be finished the week we get there. We are all excited, but a little worried.

Canada
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Which of these 3 and why? :o)

Have you looked at bookitforless dot ca ?

Some pretty good prices there.

michigan
Level Contributor
648 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which of these 3 and why? :o)

If you wait until the end of April, you ought to be able to get some better deals. I know the Iberostar del mar and beach both got back to 2 kids under 12 being free at that point. There are a lot of resorts that book kids for free when not in high season. We're saving almost $2000 by going to Iberostar in beginning of Dec. compared to beginning of January, and that's not even including xmas or spring break rates. I have no idea how this would work with customs, but could it be possible to look at a US Tour operator through Seattle or something? Then, just have to get yourself to Seattle for departure. I think Edmonton is pretty close to WA, isn't it? Good luck, that does seem like an awful lot of $$$$.

michigan
Level Contributor
648 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which of these 3 and why? :o)

I checked Funjet.com flying out of Seattle, for 12/1 to 12/15, just to see, and for your family of 4, staying at Club El Mandarin, it would be $4378.12, so it's definately worth checking into. The other 2 resorts weren't listed through fun jet for those dates, so i don't know if those dates were sold out there, or if funjet doesn't service them. I'm sure there are plenty of tour operators that specialize in that side of the country where you could probably get even better deals, but as I'm on the complete opposite side, I don't know what those would be. We fly out of Detroit, MI, and there are always plenty of people there from Windsor, Ontario, so I wouldn't imagine it's too much of a hassle. Once again, good luck!!!

Level Contributor
433 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which of these 3 and why? :o)

I know there is a shuttle bus that runs from Vancouver to Seattle for that reason. And you can fly fom Ebmonton to Vancouver for like $109 one way on a seat sale with West jet