We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Am I the only one who hates 5th Ave?

Rocky Mountains
Level Contributor
166 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Am I the only one who hates 5th Ave?

Seriously, I cannot be the only one. I HATED it. At one point I had THREE different people yelling at me to come in their store. If I wanted a bracelet with my name on it, I'd have already had one. Ironically, I WANTED to buy some souvenirs, I would've probably gone in several stores, had I not been harrassed. But as it was, there was NO WAY I was gonna go in any place. It was aggravating.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Am I the only one who hates 5th Ave?

It was ok for two hours on a rainy afternoon. We walked a bit, had a martini and headed back to The Grand. No interest in returning.

Marsa Alam, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Am I the only one who hates 5th Ave?

Don't be a hater.

Amherstburg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Am I the only one who hates 5th Ave?

Like you, I find a half hour there is enough. It seems to me that the Mexican culture does not allow for "window shopping". If you even glance at an item, they seem to think you will buy it..if the price is right. I feel it is too much pressure, and I really do not enjoy trying to take them down to a lower price. I don't want to offer too little and on the other hand I don't want to get taken either. In truth, I would like nothing better then to buy their items, but not by feeling forced into it. On the other hand, I do like the "feel" of Playa, and wow, the food is great! I would not want to go to the area, and not to experience 5th Ave. at least once.

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Am I the only one who hates 5th Ave?

hahahaha

a hater

hahaha

i love those guys on 5th

it's like a comedy routine

who can come up with the best line?

hey mister...come and buy my crap!

hey mister...i'll rip you off less!

hater

hahahaha

CO
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Am I the only one who hates 5th Ave?

I don't hate it, but it's not the best thing about Playa. I like the food and atmosphere of places on the calles right off 5th or on the beach.

Calle Corazon is a hassle free stroll. Wander up into town to a taqueria or mom and pop place. Escape for a massage. Las Ranitas or Luna Blue Garden Bar...

Oh DH if you had just posted before you went I know we could have helped you have a less aggravating trip.

If I don't want to be bothered, I walk down the middle of 5th or just go down 10th Ave instead.

Hope you at least had a partly good time somewhere! :)CW

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i15504-Playa_De…

Marsa Alam, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Am I the only one who hates 5th Ave?

"cheaper than WalMart"

"hey honeymooners"

It's endless. Have fun with it. Don't be a hater. :)

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
803 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Am I the only one who hates 5th Ave?

Me and my 2 boys love to barter and banter with the locals! My Husband hmmm NOT SO MUCH!!!! We can drag him there for about 1/2 hour and he is biting to get to the beach or go have a bite to eat. After about 2 hours I'm done as well but my youngest could go look for hours!

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Am I the only one who hates 5th Ave?

I love 5th Avenue...it's part of the Playa experience. Those guys don't bother me a bit. I just smile and walk on if I'm not interested. After a few days of walking 5th, they recognize you and leave you alone. Best time to walk 5th, is at night.

Coventry
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Am I the only one who hates 5th Ave?

Off to Mexico for the first time in July. We are staying at teh Riu Palace Mex. How far is it to 5th Ave - can we walk without reaching for oxygen?

somewhere
Level Contributor
3,075 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Am I the only one who hates 5th Ave?

Aww 5th is fun. But you DO have to be in the right mood to walk it.

Don't let them bother you. If you aren't interested, then you aren't interested. What's the big deal?

BTW, don't you ever listen to Katt Williams? You NEED haters in your life. it's their J-O-B. :)