We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When in Mexico stay away from...?

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
When in Mexico stay away from...?

Have you ever gotten sick from something you ate in Mexico?

What food should the normal traveler avoid eating while at a resort?

I don't want a repeat of the bad experience I had a couple of years ago at the Riu Palace from eating shrimp.

Any suggestions just to be on the safe side?

Thanks,

Beechluver

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When in Mexico stay away from...?

We have been going for the past 15 years and I have never gotten sick from eating the food. My wife got sick one year from eating too much shrimp but that was due to an allergy to shrimp she had developed.

somewhere
Level Contributor
3,075 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When in Mexico stay away from...?

I don;t avoid anything except what i don't like even at home.

Only rule of thumb is hot food should be hot and cold food should be cold.

other than that, I chow when I am there.

There are those people who won't eat any fruit unless it has a skin that isn't eaten (oranges, etc. as opposed to apples). They won't eat anything raw. they won't eat at a buffet, they will only eat well cooked meats and poultry. They wouldn't dream of eating from a street cart. They won't drink any water unless it's from a bottle, and even brush their teeth with it. Yeah, I drink water, eat the ice and fruit and veg and brish my teeth with water from the tap.

I think you do what you feel comfortable with. *shrug*

Atlanta
Level Contributor
149 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When in Mexico stay away from...?

Buy Travelan and take b/f you eat. travelan.org I think. Just back from Playa and we ate everything!

Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When in Mexico stay away from...?

Unless you are staying at a resort that says their water system is purified, I would NOT risk brushing my teeth with the tap water. The locals use bottled water for a reason. My Mexican husband prefers that I use bottled water to cook with...like boiling spaghetti. The water we get from the municipality has a residue...I know cuz I have to clean the filter for water coming into my washing machine. I've seen what crud he cleans out of the tinaco...or water holding tank. I have lived in five different locations on Cozumel and in Tulum. The water is the same in all of them. Now given, the resort may have a system of cleaning/purifying the water they use, but I wouldn't count on it. It is soooo easy to put bottled water in a glass to rinse your mouth. Why would you want to risk your good time by not being cautious.

I am not an alarmist. I eat at whatever location (more small places than large cuz I'm cheap!) and whatever kind of food appeals to me. I'm not much for buffets but other than that, I eat whatever I want. I wash my fruits and veggies with Microdyne or sometimes just purified water. I am careful but not paranoid.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
768 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When in Mexico stay away from...?

beechluver,

i've never been sick in mexico, but i did get a minor case of the tourista in punta cana (minor- but still not fun!)

someone suggested next time to take these pills to help prevent it- Dukorol?...

if you are feeling a bit worried might be worth looking into.

happy travels!

Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
442 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: When in Mexico stay away from...?

I always brush my teeth with tap water, purified or not. Unless you are a swallower, you need not worry. ;)

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: When in Mexico stay away from...?

A vast majority of the people getting "sick" at AIs is due to the fact that they are either 1. Not eating the way they normally would 2. Not consuming alcohol as they normally would.

Do you normally have drink after drink at home while in the sun? Probably not.

Do you eat that same amount of fruit or juice at home? Probably not.

Do you eat that same quantity of food (3 squares with multiple courses and snacks)? Probably not.

Alcohol is a diuretic and the normal tropic fruits (pineapple, mango, etc) are high in fiber. Combine the two with overeating and maybe a bit of dehydration and your stomach and digestive system will revolt.

Enjoy your vacation, I know I will, just be smart about how your body is gonna react to it.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When in Mexico stay away from...?

Thanks for the tips, everyone! Has anyone ever heard of the warnings to stay away from salads (may be washed in tap water), dairy (incl cheese & milk), fruit you did not peel (strawberries, grapes..) and all shrimp?

These are things I have heard to avoid. I don't want to be paranoid, but I really don't want to go through what I went through a few years ago - it totally ruined the last two days of my vacation.

Tell me - am I being too careful not eating the above or foolishly avoiding the above?

Thanks again for your suggestions,

Beechluver

somewhere
Level Contributor
3,075 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When in Mexico stay away from...?

And...repeat...

There are those people who won't eat any fruit unless it has a skin that isn't eaten (oranges, etc. as opposed to apples). They won't eat anything raw. They won't eat at a buffet, they will only eat well cooked meats and poultry. They wouldn't dream of eating from a street cart. They won't drink any water unless it's from a bottle, and even brush their teeth with it. Yeah, I drink water, eat the ice and fruit and veg and brush my teeth with water from the tap.

OK
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When in Mexico stay away from...?

JCristoff (I hope I didn't spell that wrong!) ITA with your post.

Remain hydrated with water during the day...even moreso if you are drinking.

My rule for myself is one drink + 2 waters. So for every beer I drink, I will be drinking 2 waters. I think a lot of people get sick from too much sun and booze rather than the water or the food or whatever.

I don't plan on avoiding anything except what I normally avoid.

I'm ready to go avoid what I normally avoid in MX! Three more sleeps!

Holly