We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golfing - El Camaleon

Georgetown ON
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Golfing - El Camaleon

heading to Playa this coming weekend, thinking about bringing my clubs and try to play el camaleon. Any feedback, tips ? Is there a way to get a good deal? Do they provide transportation from / to the hotels? (Playacar used to do that, if I recall correctly)

Thanks

Wyoming
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Golfing - El Camaleon

Hi Karim,

I played El Camaleon last week, and it was simply excellent. The course is amazing. The cheapest way to do it is to get a tee time after 2:30 p.m. because those are "twilight" hours and you get $50 dollars off. I think it was about $150 for golf, cart, unlimited drinks, and snacks. Thats an all in one package. If you speak with the pro shop they should be able to connect you with a transport service, or send their own depending on where you are staying. If you don't do twilight hours, you are looking at $200. Any other questions let me know.

music

Georgetown ON
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Golfing - El Camaleon

Thanks for the answer I guess I will be bringing my clubs...

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,493 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Golfing - El Camaleon

They have a package that includes beverages and snacks? Must be a seasonal offering. Prices were higher and included no frills in January. With tax it was $254.00 per person for a morning tee time. Between Playacar, Iberostar and Mayakoba....my husband and son said they would like to play the Iberostar course again, but were glad they played the Mayakoba course once.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
288 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Golfing - El Camaleon

dont know where your staying but when we stayed at the fairmont mayakoba earlier this month they were giving out buy one round get one free vouchers.

KC
Level Contributor
86 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Golfing - El Camaleon

Do any of the hotels offer discounts, or passes to El Cameleon as part of the ammenities??

Georgetown ON
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Golfing - El Camaleon

Great question, any ideas on how to get a better deal would be really appreciated....

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Golfing - El Camaleon

Not much help on El Cam from me.

Stopped at Playacar course two days ago & took a look around. Very nice club house, walked around the range & saw a few fairways & greens from a distance. Course condition was excellent...but very hot & humid.

They had an "after 2pm" special for $65 per person. Includes cart and all food/beverages! Yes, alcohol, too. And I think they said free round trip taxi from your resort (if your resort was on their list that included all Palace and many non-Palace resorts). That would be a losing battle for the course if some of my golf buddies played there :)

I also heard many courses offered "2nd round free" promotion even if on a different day. Ask at your resort. Since the economy stinks & it's hot/rainy season, the courses were wide open...no advance tee times needed. So just book once you arrive & ask around for deals.

A website I use lots for discount golf is ezlinks. They offer Hilton Cancun & Playa Mujeres (just 5 miles north of Cancun). Nothing near Playa del Carmen. But remember the site if teeing up in Cabo or Jamaica. Saved TONS with last minute specials & name-your-price features.

Bye,

SeaBass

Georgetown ON
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Golfing - El Camaleon

Thanks SeaBass

Either the second round free or the $65 at Playacar make great value I'm bringing the clubs for sure !!!

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Golfing - El Camaleon

Just remember to post a review on this site so we know how the deals turned out.

And check on your airline's baggage policy. Clubs sometimes count as your one free checked bag, or might set you back $50+ EACH WAY! If the latter, pack your shoes, plenty of balls, and a few gloves (it's sweaty time down there), and rent a decent set. Heck, ask & maybe they'll throw in free club rental! Doesn't hurt to try!

Hit 'em long & straight,

SeaBass

Georgetown ON
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Golfing - El Camaleon

Clubs travel free with most Canadian providers, as a matter of fact I always use my golf travel bag to pack extra stuff like sandals, snorkels etc...

I have played there a few times, you are right it gets REALLY HUMID. What I do is bring my RAIN gloves, I have a pair of footjoys that are great for wet weather, I discovered they work great also on very hot days when sweat is a factor.

I usually play in sandals (golf sandals) in the summer, so I will bring those and lots of balls.. they can be very expensive while you are there!

I will definitively post a review at my return