We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to this.....

Illinois
Level Contributor
39 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
New to this.....

Planning a trip to PDC in Oct; have seen on various posts something about a "towel game" by pools and beaches at resorts. I am assuming this means leaving your towel on a lounge chair to 'reserve' it? How early should you do this? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
808 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New to this.....

Welcome to the forum Beckster! The towel game is something that people kind of get mad at. I myself don't do it because of that reason so my advice is if you really want to, do it very early ( by 8:00) and don't leave your towel there for hours!!!The only time I have done this is if we are off for lunch and know we are coming back.If you are not planning to be ther till the afternoon and hog the chair all day you can expect your towel and other things to be gone or moved to the ground!!If you are using the chair fine! If not leave it for someone who is wanting it!

Michelle

Mission, BC, Canada
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Mission, Abbotsford
Level Contributor
5,179 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New to this.....

Ya Beckster Welcome to the Forums!

Just to add to what my esteemed colleague mlroberts has pointed out, this is one subject that can get a “Tad Heated”.

It is also something that a lot of people don’t like, or don’t agree with, but often wind up doing it as well. You are kind of forced into it if you want to sit together sometimes, especially if there are 4 or more of you. It really has a “Domino Effect” Sometimes you will go to a resort, & nobody is doing it to start, then next AM, a few, then it gets worse every day until all the loungers are gone by 8:30 AM.

A friend & I were sitting around the swim-up bar 1 day, (I know hard to believe...lol), & we watched this couple put all their stuff on 2 loungers, camera hanging from a Palapa, (Those grass Umbrella thingies) & a beach bag, then they wandered off. This was about 11:00 AM. They never returned until about 4:30, picked up all their stuff & left.

At one point we were going to grab the camera, take in the men’s room & take a few “Good Pictures” & put it back! Would have been interesting to see their faces when they looked at the pictures later! :-D

But cooler heads prevailed & we didn’t do it. :-(

But I REALLY wanted to!

Pablo

Fri 21:57 PST

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New to this.....

Beckster, Welcome to the Playa del Carmen forum! To avoid the "towel game" stay at one of the smaller boutique hotels. You never have to worry about that.

winnipeg
Level Contributor
65 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New to this.....

BC IT Guy....

You should have done it!!

Deckster22,

The towel game can be really annoying to people who play fair. Get up early, go for breakfast early and then get your lounge chairs early. Park your butt and your stuff and stay. We always planned the night before, had everything ready and set the alarm clock if we knew we were planning on spending the day at either the beach or the pool. Just seemed to be the polite way to do it. If we were still tired, we just snoozed on the chairs!

Have a great time!!

Take care,

Cindy

winnipeg
Level Contributor
65 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New to this.....

Am I missing the edit button or is there not one??

Anyway....

BECKSTER22!!

Didn't mean to call you Deckster. Sorry about that. My fingernails are getting in the way of my typing!

Illinois
Level Contributor
39 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New to this.....

Thanks to all; like most others we probably will just get there early and use our "butts" to reserve a seat instead of our towels! :)

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New to this.....

I've had to get up as early as 5:30am....until at a hotel (nameless, of course) where I made friends with someone who had someone else save me a chair. (Necessary because I cant sit in sun all day).

If you go off season, less likely for "games". Also same "games" for palapas on the beach.

Dont just leave a towel, leave personal item such as book, magazine.....Make sure you are back in a short period of time.

I would save chair, read for a little while, go for breakfast, go back to chair, change to bathing suit, go back to chair.

THe longest I left my chair alone was during lunch.

AND, I made a laminated sign (now just a plastic sleeve since I have no access to laminator!!)...saying something like "Please dont take my chair. I will be back soon."

I included a picture of Me and a bengal tiger on the sign and added "Dont make my pet cat angry. You wouldnt like her when she gets angry!"

(keep a sense of humor!)

Maine
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: New to this.....

I agree, you kinda get forced into it...my husband likes to be in shade and the palapas tend to fill up fast. We do put out books & towels on the lounges we want to "save" and then go to breakfast. We do not "save" a chair if we have no intention of using it shortly...I have never been at a resort where we did not have to "save" a chair.

We also tend to eat at the beach bar areas for lunch, and also leave our stuff there...again, planning to return shortly. Also, who wants to carry books and stuff into the eateries? If it is a small resort, going back to your room is an option but at the mega resorts, I have sometimes been very far from the beach, where I plan to spend the day...so going back andforth is less of an option and we have again, left out stuff on our chairs...not to be rude, but to save us from carting it all over the place for the time we are away from the chair.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,623 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New to this.....

We ended up having to do it this year which I loathed.

Normally, I find we don't need to; we've always been able to get a spot with shade and sun up until 10-11am.

This year, 'prime position' loungers (ie ones with both shade and sun, were reserved by 7-8am (most people didn't turn up until 10 am at least, or not at all, which IMO was totally out of order); ones totally in shade were available until 9 am; ones in the full sun were almost always available.

My partner and I are fair skinned and no way could we sit in the sun, so we tended to put towels down on our way to breakfast, and then come straight back after breakfast (we'd be gone 45 mins tops). The latest we ever got to our loungers was around 10 am.

I hated having to do it, but it was that or sit in the full sun, which wasn't an option. I wish resorts would crack down on it and then it would be a lot fairer to everyone. Not once did I see someone actually use a lounger before 8.30/9am, so why reserve one at 5.30/6?...

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New to this.....

I'm with Michelle on this one...

IMO "towel games" are absurd... The audacity of reserving a seat is ridiculous (exceptions of course getting to grab something in your room or a drink at the bar, lunch, etc.) But to hold a chair for hours when you are running off doing something else? Just Rude...

I've only had this issue happen once before, and they sure got a glimpse of my evil eye upon there return... ;)

Don't be forced into it! If everyone has the same laxed attitude about the chairs there will be more than enough to rotate for everyone at different times. i.e. good times had by all :)