We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip to Sandos Playacar & need some feedback

pa
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a trip to Sandos Playacar & need some feedback

Hi all My husband & myself are planning a trip to Sandos in September & have read alot of the wonderful reviews (we also read alot of reviews on a trip that we took to Jamaica where people raved about a certain hotel & when we got there we hated it)!!!! So I was wondering if anyone could tell me alittle about the resort? How is the beach, is it rocky would we need to bring water shoes? Is the water rough or calm? Is there alot of seaweed? Bugs in the hotel? Musty smelling ( I know alot of beach hotels are cause of the humidity). Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Illinois
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a trip to Sandos Playacar & need some feedback

The good reviews that you have been reading are all true!! My husband and I were there in May and had one of the best times of our lives. The beach is beautiful, no need for water shoes. Water was mostly calm with some waves. I am one of those people who has to be able to see to the bottom of the water before I get in and I spent a lot of time in the ocean, if that tells you anything. I did not notice much seaweed at all. No bugs in hotel and the rooms were extremely clean and comfortable. I would go back tomorrow if I could. We will definitely return to this resort.

Andover, MN
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a trip to Sandos Playacar & need some feedback

We have never been there in September but do have 4 trips in Feb-March-April to respond to some of your questions.

Hard to say on the beach as it is impacted by wind direction and tides but we have had "red" very wavy days and all the way down to almost flat calm. Beach is pretty much complete sand although you will step on a rock or a piece of coral or shell evey now and then as then are rolling into shore from deeper water. No need for water shoes though. Very litte seaweed in the water unless the waves are really strong and it breaks off from deeper water as well.

Never had any bug issues (a gecko every now and then to get the kids moving but no bugs).

I notice the humidity and musty smell some times when we first arrive but it seems to either go away or more likely we get used to it. It is not bad at all.

CT
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a trip to Sandos Playacar & need some feedback

I agree with both posters except we have never smelled a musty smell at all. We just returned from our third trip to this resort in april. We initially stayed there in 2005 & 2006 before the new Riviera section was added.

If you love the beach, request a room in the beach section. This year we didn't receive our request and were placed in the Riviera section and although the rooms are larger and more modern, we requested to be moved which they did the next day. Just beware of the timeshare people that approach you directly after you check in. (they carry clipboards, just say NO THANKS.)

We probably won't go back to this resort again since it was our third time but we really love the beach there.

texas
Level Contributor
511 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a trip to Sandos Playacar & need some feedback

we returned saturday and it was wonderful. i always bring watershoes because i have sensitive feet, but i did not need them at all. right when you enter the water you step on very small shells and then it is completely smooth sand with no need for shoe. the clarity of the water is amazing. it is the best beach we have ever seen. we stayed in the riviera section and there was no musty smell. the flag was red most of last week with a couple of yellow flag days. even the red flag days, everyone was enjoying the water you just had to be ready for the next wave. if you go down the beach to the south a little there is a very long and wide sand bar to hang out on if you have kids. enjoy!

5. Re: Planning a trip to Sandos Playacar & need some feedback

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2010, 08:15