We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chichen Itza

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
OKC
1 post
Save Topic
Chichen Itza

Wondering if anyone could recommend a good tour to the ruins.

CT
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chichen Itza

Are you set on Chitza Itza? If not, I recommend Alltournative Tours to visit Coba. We went a few years ago and it was soooo worth the money. The tour is called the "Mayan Encounter" and you zipline, climb Coba, etc.

You can't climb CI anymore. That was a deciding factor for me plus it is further South than Coba.

Sintra, Portugal
Level Contributor
454 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chichen Itza

Goingo to Mexico (Riviera Maya) and not visit Chichen-Itza, its like going to Rome and not visit the Pope.

Yeah it's a long way, something like 3-4 hours each way, but worths every minute.

Extraordinary the Mayan Culture, their games, their way of living.

Don't miss it!

Embarrass, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chichen Itza

Darn, I've been to Rome but the pope wasn't home.

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chichen Itza

For ruins I would pick Coba over Chichen Itza (CI). Coba is much closer than CI, and in our opinion, the better of the two. Coba is older than CI and is almost pure Mayan with very little Toltec influence. It is in more of a jungle setting than CI with a fair amount of walking or you can rent a Pedi cab with a driver to peddle you around. You can still climb the main pyramid at Coba and this is a plus for us. Also, less crowded than CI. CI is one of the new 7 wonders of the world (very interesting how this was arrived at) but the farthest from where you are staying and the most commercialized. The ruins at Chichen Itza are combined Mayan and Toltec and excavated more than Coba. However, Chichen Itza can be very crowded and you have a lot of vendors/family’s selling stuff along many of the trails/paths between buildings.

To get a good exposure to Mayan ruins, Coba would be my pick.

uk
Level Contributor
74 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chichen Itza

how far is Coba from riu tequila where we are staying? are there organised trips there?

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chichen Itza

I'm not sure the exact distance from the RIU but there are several organized tours that go there. They should have that information at the RIU after you check-in. Also, you could rent a car and drive yourself or book via a private tour company (again, the RIU should have tour reps there that you can book with). Have a great trip.

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chichen Itza

I forgot to mention, Coba is about an hour and 15 minutes (maybe a little more) away from the RIU.

uk
Level Contributor
74 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chichen Itza

Thanks for the info!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
133 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chichen Itza

There is a coba ruins/mayan village tour that is very good, they took us to coba ruins where we walked about two miles thought the jungle & we climbed the pyramid great veiw, then we stopped for a traditional mayan lunch it was good, the mayan village where we got to meet all the children (being treats!) & see how they live, then you stop at a really cool cenote where we go down a really steep stair case in to the ground about 30ft in to a big cavern with beautiful cool water, ps:there are lights set-up and its very refreshing. best tour we have been on ,well worth the peso's.

Pardeeville, WI
Level Contributor
133 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chichen Itza

Probably not what you are looking for, but we hired a driver and went to Chichen on our own. No need to wait around if you are finished or too hot or too tired etc. You can hire a guide when you get there. (There is a separate Chichen Forum here at TA you can check out.) We also enjoyed Ek Balaam. You can climb that large ruin (higher than Chichen) and the area is more compact. Just a suggestion. Have fun! (Bring an umbrella for some shade.)