We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Royal or Valentin

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
boston
Level Contributor
79 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
The Royal or Valentin

We are flipping on these resorts...we are a young at heart couple in our early 50's looking for nice beach, activities during the day, dancing and listening to music at night and just having fun. We love the location of the Royal but we can get the Valentin for $1000 less for the 9 nights we are looking at in Nov. I guess my main question is there any nightlife at the Valentin as I realize from the Royal we can always go into downtown quite easily!

somewhere
Level Contributor
3,075 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Royal or Valentin

for the 1000 less, go for the Valentin. You'll spend less on cabs even if you go to PDC every single night.

new york
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The Royal or Valentin

I also agree. I picked the Valentin over the Royal because of the price difference. I'm going in November too. I just plan on taking taxis to Playa.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
373 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Royal or Valentin

I agree. I've stayed at the Royal twice. The only reason I've never stayed at the Valentin before was the distance from town since I like going there every night. I just booked the Valentin instead of the Royal because the it's so much less expensive. The cost of taxis into town won't even come close.

boston
Level Contributor
79 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Royal or Valentin

I thought about the taxi cost as well and will probably go the Valentin route... one other question...is there a gym, kayaks, aerobics, volleyball etc...during the day? We Like to be active as well as just chillin!

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Royal or Valentin

I am leaning towards the Royal just because the whole look of the place is much classier than the Valentin which looks rather dull. The Valentin is cheaper but if I am paying $2500 I might as well pay the extra $600 and get a much nicer resort with an actual view of the ocean and a much better location.

I'm just sayin'......

Beechluver

Buffalo, New York
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Royal or Valentin

Yes there are kayaks, a gym and an active entertainment team att the pool during the daytime.

WV
Level Contributor
3,525 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Royal or Valentin

We chose the Valentin and while we haven't been there yet, it looks like a really nice place on par with the Royal in my opinion in terms of service and amenities. Luxury abounds, hope we will be able to pull overselves away to make a few trips into Playa:=)

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Royal or Valentin

I've stayed at both the RPDC and Valentin. In fact, I just returned last week from my SECOND visit to the Valentin. IMO the VIM is "classier" than the Royal:):) For me, everything was better at the VIM. However, VIM IS a much bigger resort with more walking and if that's a problem, then it's prolly not the right choice for some people......I think the landscaping and architecture is lovely, BUT there aren't that many true ocean view rooms. After lots of visits to the Riviera Maya, my husband and I hardly leave the resort and we found plenty of entertainment at VIM - in fact, more evening stuff than at RPDC. However, we're prolly in a different age group.........:):) Cheers! Margaret

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,624 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Royal or Valentin

Beech, I just posted the following in one of your other threads. If the beach is an issue, I hope this helps. I also added some additional information at the bottom of the thread.

The beaches at the Valentin and RPDC are very different.

RPDC: Deep with nice sand and a lot of beds and chairs close together. The water is clear and emerald. There are more people on the beach because it is right in town. The chairs/beds, of course are for the hotel guests only. There is one beach bar and they have waiters. The beach bar is really more of a bar for the waiters - no stools or anything. Overall, beautiful beach but a little crowded.

Valentin: nice deep beach with soft sand. Water is not as clear at RPDC and darker in color. Not nearly as crowded as RPDC. Lots of palapas. Most of the beachfront is covered with rocks and not swimmable; however, there is a nice roped off section for swimming that has few, if any rocks. Drink service is the same as it is at RPDC.

I think I prefer RPDC's beach because the big thing for me is the water clarity/swimmability. It would definitely be my favorite if they had palapas - I prefer palapas to beach beds.

One of the nice things about RPDC is you have privileges next door so you have more restaurant options. I would say the rooms are equal. The views are better at RPDC but they don't have swim up rooms if that is your thing. RPDC does have a 24 hour lounge which has pool tables, food and self serve drinks which is nice. They also have booze in your mini bar which the Valentin does not.

I felt the food was better overall at RPDC. I really liked Pelicanos (beach-side restaurant) for lunch. You could get a table overlooking the street, pier and beach. It was like eating at a regular beachfront restaurant - not an ai restaurant. Almost every day I ate Arrachara (marinated flank steak with stuffed poblano pepper as a garnish). It was awesome and it is probably the only memorable dish I have eaten at an ai.

Although it's surroundings are more crowded, it is kind of nice not to feel so siloed and tucked away from everyone else. It gives the place character and Pelicanos is great for people watching during a leisurely lunch.

In the end, I would give RPDC the edge but I don't think it is worth and additional $1,000. I actually think Real has overpriced the Royal Resorts and that is the main I reason we have not returned to RPDC.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,974 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Royal or Valentin

Hi there, both are great resorts and we have stayed at both.

We prefer the Valentin but you have to be prepared not to see the ocean and the resort isn't as hopping as the Royal. The rooms, restaurants, service, pool, beach and everything else at the Valentin is top notch and quite classy. A very romantic resort. There is nighlife but it is hit and miss depending on the people there that week as well as what kind of entertainment/band is playing on certain nights.

We liked the Royal as well but it had a different vibe. People were there of all ages but the atmosphere was more to party and the hotel itself was very quiet at night as most people would go into town after dinner or even for dinner as we did. We found the clientelle to be more upscale and sophisticated at the Valentin as compared to the Royal.

Both are good resorts but they are quite different in lot of areas. It all depends on what you are looking for in terms of a vacation.